Dash Warning Light ON - Emission Control System ?

FR_Flavoured

Noticed the light lit up on the way home from work today.
The light is on solid, and isnt flashing, and hasnt gone out...

If it relates to emissions (?), should it be safe to carry on driving the car, as phoning the Dealer where I bought the car (8 months ago), they cant fit me in until next Thursday!

Last thing I want to do is carry on driving the car, only to be causing longterm engine damage. :(

Any thoughts or anyone else had theirs into SEAT for the same light?

The Service Department even suggested if a rear brake light bulb blows, this can also cause this light to come on, as they are all connected to the same electrical circult !? WHAT THE?? :blink:

Any feedback greatly appreciated. :)

FR_Flavoured

Hi Tam, thankyou for your reply. Its a Diesel, TDi FR (Mk2 PD170).... ?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Sounds like the start of the dreaded DPF sensor fault. If you drive it too much it will likely flag up more lights and then go into limp home mode.

A fiver says it's a faulty DPF pressure sensor.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago sensor gone, however the light went out the next time I used the car, my dealer was able to do it the next day.

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago sensor gone, however the light went out the next time I used the car, my dealer was able to do it the next day.

I had this exactly too. Was the DPF pressure sensor.

Sounds like the start of the dreaded DPF sensor fault. If you drive it too much it will likely flag up more lights and then go into limp home mode.

A fiver says it's a faulty DPF pressure sensor.

The other company Leon we have, did the same thing, but the other Rep was coming back from Kent (200 miles), then had other appointments over the next two days. It had gone into Limp Mode before the end of the next day.

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
If its doing the same as mine (and mine did it 3 different times) then its a sporadic fault which can be cleared and/or an exhaust sensor which can be replaced under warranty and pretty much nothing serious to worry about. Drive away at it until you can get fitted in at the dealers!

FR_Flavoured

Thankyou for your feedback guys - much appreciated (as always)... :)

Well the dealer cant fit me in until next Thursday, so the car is going nowhere it seems.

He did say that the AA / RAC have the necessary software to read VAG.COM codes/provide a diagnosis at least, not that they'd have the parts to repair.

He said it could potentially be a handful of things, most seem to relate to sensors.
Including, lamba sensor or the temp coolant sensor......... time will tell !

Also that if the car is driving normally, acceleration etc etc, it "should" be safe to drive, without causing further issues. (I think I prefer to leave it in the garage until I drive it to SEAT next Thursday)?

When the car goes into "limp mode" what does it do? Reduce all power / go into an efficiency setting?

Will definately report back the findings. Tempted to join the AA / RAC, just so they can come out and tell me whats the problem.....

FR_Flavoured

Thankyou White_Lady, lets hope it does turn out to be someone relatively insignificant.

I'd love to keep driving the car, but if its actually at a risk of causing engine damage (as at this moment we dont know the reason behind the dash light), would rather not chance it, at least until i get the codes checked....

Nath, if the issue was related to the DPF filter, would you expect that warning light to come on at some point too?

.....Would just recently having a STAGE 3 REMAP be anything to do with it??? :D .........I wish! The remap that is. D

Last edited by a moderator:

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
limits the engine revs to 3,000 rpm - but no turbo at all - so you have about 60bhp (my guestimate - no idea what the actual figure is - but its not much!).

You can get up to 70mph on a motorway still - but i wouldn't fancy having to pull out of a junction quickly as you have very limited power.

southyjd

He did say that the AA / RAC have the necessary software to read VAG.COM codes/provide a diagnosis at least, not that they'd have the parts to repair.

I had a fault (turned out to be the ABS pump) but RAC couldnt find my car on their system. Even rang up head office. Just took it to the stealer in the end and they sorted it.
Think they need to update their systems

BuZZarD73

I had to endure a week in limp mode - 2800rpm, no turbo. It was like having SMART car engine in a bus!
It's ok for driving on the flat but as soon as you get near a hill, it starts to cry a little, then weeps like a peeled baby in a bag of salt.

It's in the stealers today and hopefully I'll have it back before the oil reserves run out.
Here's hoping....

FR_Flavoured

Cheers for the additional comments. Its really sounding like the Car is best not driven then, until it goes to SEAT to get rectified. Best be safe than sorry, and as a result of "chancing it" cause further issues!

SEAT did also say once they've replaced/fixed the problem, as a matter of course, they will take MY car on a 10 - 15 mile drive, to ensure the emissions light doesnt come back on!! :blink:

southyjd

After commenting a few quotes up about the RAC the same problem has happened to me! Drove quite a bit today round cheltenham and glos and nothing was on. Came back then about 2 hours later went out and the emissions light came on. Not even had the car a month and this is the second time it will have been back to the stealer (first was ABS pump fault) Just wandering what else can go wrong. :shrug::cry:

southyjd

Also i have no loss of power at all and at one point it was idling at 1k rpm

strensall

May 14, 2005
YORK
our's came on yesterday not an fr tho but a 2.0ltr sport 55 reg so no DPF hopeing its just emissions, need it for thruxton on the weekend

FR_Flavoured

Hmmm, southyjd, yes, I did pickup your message above about how the RAC or AA might not have the right equipment to accurately connect up to our cars VAG.COM to provide a diagnosis. Thanks for that.

Also interesting to read how your light came on, however has since gone off again!!
Perhaps I might just come to work tomorrow in my own car, 80 mile round trip, and hope the problem goes away! LOL? :D

Lets hope the old saying proves true - ignore something long enough, and it will go away.
ORRR, I will end up parked on the side of the motorway in a cloud of smoke as the engine gives out!

southyjd

Hmmm, southyjd, yes, I did pickup your message above about how the RAC or AA might not have the right equipment to accurately connect up to our cars VAG.COM to provide a diagnosis. Thanks for that.

Also interesting to read how your light came on, however has since gone off again!!
Perhaps I might just come to work tomorrow in my own car, 80 mile round trip, and hope the problem goes away! LOL? :D

Lets hope the old saying proves true - ignore something long enough, and it will go away.
ORRR, I will end up parked on the side of the motorway in a cloud of smoke as the engine gives out!

Well some people have said after they have filled up at like asda or sainsburys the light has come on. I was nearly on empty and filled up at sainsburys (no shell or bp in sight) and then thats when it all happend. I was going to the stealer today if it was still on. Hopefully tho like STRENSALL said it was just a normal regen.

Dont really like these lights coming on tho if its normal. Just think "oh great now what!"

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise