diagnosis/excess of pollution light - car seems fine

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
since my LC has been out of warranty i've had one problem after another.

the latest is the diagnosis/excess of pollution light. this came on the other day.

however, car still drives as per usual, and i've checked the oil etc and they are all fine, the exhaust doesn't sound any rougher than usual either as best i can tell. also the excess of pollution light is not flashing - it says in the manual that it should.

I did have bother with the temp sensor light flashing/beeping on startup a couple of months ago (as soon as the cold weather started) which i ignored for ages as I was confident it was nothing other than poor quality parts from seat: I had two temp sensors fitted under warranty after they failed! A quick clean of the the prongs and a tiny amount of coolant later and the problem is gone.

don't fancy giving the seat garage £60 to run vag-com if it is just another annoying fault on the leon (like the temp sensor).

just wondered if anyone else has had this light come on but the car seems fine???

I'm hoping to ignore it much the same way as i did the temp sensor light (at least the pollution light doesnt let out a terrifying beep)

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
There's 2 very common faults relating to the coolant system.

The 1st is the early morning beeps (sensor in expansion tank - This isn't temp sensor, its a level sensor)
The 2nd is the coolant temp sensor located right hand side of engine, its a black sensor and needs to be replaced with a green sensor. Costs about £30. (try a search)

The 1st fault gives you morning beeps and flashing light, the 2nd fault gives you a permanent engine warning light. The 2 are totally UNRELATED.

It might not be this as you cant be sure without having ecu read and logging the code but it ''probably'' is ;)

Additionally, the fact your car is still performing and behaving correctly, gives more fuel to the fire that its this sensor at fault :)

Last edited:

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
My engine light came on last week and the car was performing spot on as usual. I had someone read the fault codes stored on the ECU and it came back with a heater element fault on the pre-cat Lambda. I ran the car very slow for a few days until a new one came and I did notice the fuel consumption was a bit higher than normal.

I have invested in a fault code reader for £30 incase I get something like this happening again. Seat could have told me anything and I would have to have beleived them.

So get one of these 120187379607 (e-bay item number) and you can see what the problem is.

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
My engine light came on last week and the car was performing spot on as usual. I had someone read the fault codes stored on the ECU and it came back with a heater element fault on the pre-cat Lambda. I ran the car very slow for a few days until a new one came and I did notice the fuel consumption was a bit higher than normal.

I have invested in a fault code reader for £30 incase I get something like this happening again. Seat could have told me anything and I would have to have beleived them.

So get one of these 120187379607 (e-bay item number) and you can see what the problem is.

cheers for that. think i'll invest in one of these. looks ideal.

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
remember that with the current exchange rate a vag-com license is only about £50 and obviously you can do alot more with it than just read fault codes.

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
remember that with the current exchange rate a vag-com license is only about £50 and obviously you can do alot more with it than just read fault codes.

maybe sometime down the line but it's too near xmas to get the software, cable, and power source for the laptop at the moment.

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
There's 2 very common faults relating to the coolant system.

The 1st is the early morning beeps (sensor in expansion tank - This isn't temp sensor, its a level sensor)
The 2nd is the coolant temp sensor located right hand side of engine, its a black sensor and needs to be replaced with a green sensor. Costs about £30. (try a search)

The 1st fault gives you morning beeps and flashing light, the 2nd fault gives you a permanent engine warning light. The 2 are totally UNRELATED.

It might not be this as you cant be sure without having ecu read and logging the code but it ''probably'' is ;)

Additionally, the fact your car is still performing and behaving correctly, gives more fuel to the fire that its this sensor at fault :)

hmm. had a look today and it appears i already have a green sensor fitted. are the green ones prone to go bad also?

fault reader arrives tomorrow (hopefully). will dig deeper then.

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
fault reader arrived today so i hooked it up and found two error codes:

16795 (P0411) Secondary Air Injection System (B2) - Incorrect Flow

and

18010 (P1602) Power Supply (B+) Terminal 30 - Low Voltage.

as i say the car still drives ok.

Will driving with these faults on the system for a couple of weeks cause any damage to the car or over fueling etc???

I'll check for split hoses etc and have my battery checked the first chance i get. I'll reset the codes meantime.

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
The second code is because the battery has been disconnected. Dont worry about this it will clear with not problems. Not sure about the second one. MAF??? Do a search on it in this and the VAG-COM section, you are sure to get some answers there.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.