Differences between 1.9 PDs and newer 2.0 engines

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
A long way off yet, but I'm starting to plant the seeds in my mind of what car to get after the Passat.

Was wondering what are the differences between the 1.9 PDs and 2.0 units, specifically:

1) Do they use the same clutch (ie do the 2.0 clutches have the same kind of torque limits as those on the 1.9s)

2) How does the economy compare - are the 2.0s any better being a newer design ? Comparing for instance a standard 1.9 130 and a standard 2.0 140.

3) How much more tuning potential does a 2.0 140 have compared to a 1.9 130 ? I assume given the extra 8 valves they breathe better and can hold torque longer ?

Toying with the idea of getting an Audi TDI estate with quattro in a year or two's time, long time off I know but it gives me something to think about :D

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
A long way off yet, but I'm starting to plant the seeds in my mind of what car to get after the Passat.

Was wondering what are the differences between the 1.9 PDs and 2.0 units, specifically:

1) Do they use the same clutch (ie do the 2.0 clutches have the same kind of torque limits as those on the 1.9s)

2) How does the economy compare - are the 2.0s any better being a newer design ? Comparing for instance a standard 1.9 130 and a standard 2.0 140.

3) How much more tuning potential does a 2.0 140 have compared to a 1.9 130 ? I assume given the extra 8 valves they breathe better and can hold torque longer ?

Toying with the idea of getting an Audi TDI estate with quattro in a year or two's time, long time off I know but it gives me something to think about :D

1 ) Clutch is a different size and design. 2.0 PD clutch is 240mm, 1.9 is 228mm

2 ) MPG is about the same.

3 ) Read my sig. :D

One of the best things about the 2.0 PD unit is that it is so much smoother through the rev range then a 1.9 unit plus it will rev up to 6K with no tailing off when modded.

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Since the clutch surface area is alot bigger on the 2.0 PD i would have thought so. The OEM clutch was one of the first things that dropped out of the car as i knew i needed an uprated one for what i wanted to do so never really bothered to read up much on the stock unit.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Thanks Ian.

Wonder what year the 2.0 140 was introduced to A4s...maybe by the time I start looking they could be in my price range...

jonnie5

Seat Leon FR+
Mar 14, 2007
Rosyth
1 ) Clutch is a different size and design. 2.0 PD clutch is 240mm, 1.9 is 228mm

2 ) MPG is about the same.

3 ) Read my sig. :D

One of the best things about the 2.0 PD unit is that it is so much smoother through the rev range then a 1.9 unit plus it will rev up to 6K with no tailing off when modded.

Having driven both, my dad and I agree that his 2.0 140 pd tdi is alot more gruff and nosier than my 1.9 150 pd. Its like night and day. I know that my father has told more that his oil was getting low so he topped up with half a litre and he has never had a car that responded so much to an oil top up. Still nowhere near as smooth and quiet as my 1.9 though.
VW are soon to be dropping the 2.0pd for this reason of being so gruff feeling. Well so I read in the Autocar a few months back.:shrug:

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
I often wonder if having more valves on a diesel makes much difference. Mine has power all the way to 5k until the limiter cuts in. I feel if the limiter was lifted it would go more. My clutch is 240mm on my PD130. The Pd100 has 228mm.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
I think the valves are there for emissions only.
The 16v head seems to allow for a much smoother torque curve but I like the kick in the back from the 8valver!

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Oh well its that time of day that i make myself look like a twat again :yes: :doh: . The 2.0 is so much smoother to drive then the 1.9 though, alot more like a petrol to drive then a diesel. I have never needed to top up with oil and my engine sounds smoother then my old 1.9 on tick over as well.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Definately a smoother idle on the 2.0, however that could be down to better soundproofing and/or mounts. My idle gets a bit lumpy when the engine is hot, not so much diesel like vibrations a la 1.9, more rocking on it's mounts and fluctuating a bit. I'd better bail out of this thread before I talk myself into yet another car change........!!!

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Definately a smoother idle on the 2.0, however that could be down to better soundproofing and/or mounts. My idle gets a bit lumpy when the engine is hot, not so much diesel like vibrations a la 1.9, more rocking on it's mounts and fluctuating a bit. I'd better bail out of this thread before I talk myself into yet another car change........!!!

I heared that you only kept your cars untill they needed filling up with diesel then sold them on...:bleh:

Topsey

Jan 21, 2007
Don't know about the technical stufff (I'm a girl!! :rolleyes: ) but I had a new 1.9 TDi Passat for 18 months and, while it was fine at a steady speed on the motorway, it wasn't much fun. MPG was good. Fortunately I changed jobs, handed back the company tank and now have a fun car.

Other half has the new 2.0TDi Passat with DSG gearbox and that is lovely - goes very well.

Last edited:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Im gonna get slapped for this, but id start looking at the 2.2l Honda i-CDTI's. They are slightly more efficient, provide a nicer and more constant torque delivery when mapped up and will be no doubt more reliable than the VAG ones. They sounds a hell of a lot more refined than any VAG diesel if thats your thing too (personally i dont care, more bark the better!)

DSG's apparrently kill some economy due to mechanical losses, and your screwed if you map it and starts slipping!

Plus Hondas are made in Britain!! Just a problem finding an estate with it in - probably an Accord.

Bogwoppit

Aug 30, 2005
Lincs
EdButler,

Off subject, but do you know any companies apart from superchips that map the 2.2 i-CDTi as my friend has just bought a Civic and wants it mapping?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Im gonna get slapped for this, but id start looking at the 2.2l Honda i-CDTI's. They are slightly more efficient, provide a nicer and more constant torque delivery when mapped up and will be no doubt more reliable than the VAG ones. They sounds a hell of a lot more refined than any VAG diesel if thats your thing too (personally i dont care, more bark the better!)

DSG's apparrently kill some economy due to mechanical losses, and your screwed if you map it and starts slipping!

Plus Hondas are made in Britain!! Just a problem finding an estate with it in - probably an Accord.

SLAP :D

Interesting though.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
EdButler,

Off subject, but do you know any companies apart from superchips that map the 2.2 i-CDTi as my friend has just bought a Civic and wants it mapping?
Forgive me for poking my nose in, but Upsolute do the engine in the Accord which is probably the same as the Civic(?). Quoted figures are broadly similar to the VW equivalents.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise