Differences between T Sport & T Cupra?

mufcrbest87

Could some one explain to me the main differences between the 1.8T 20V Sport and the 1.8T 20V Cupra, i have been looking at prices and they seem to be very very similar but the Sport has leather whereas the Cupra does not i thought it would be the other way around?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
in the uk the sport had the ko3 turbo fitted (cant remember the engine code) and many had leather and toys. 2001ish it was rebadged as a cupra and had the better ko3s turbo fitted .. AUQ engine code (both still 180bhp)

at some point during 02 i think the leather and the toys were removed. but its hit and miss so i think it was still an option.

mufcrbest87

so the cupra is the better car but if i wnt leather and xtras i should get the sport, i think it was erly 01 or late 2000 that the cupra came cos i have found X reg cupras and an X reg sport, unless sellers have just labelled their cars wong

mufcrbest87

Does high mileage matter when buying a T Sport of Cupra, the on i am looking at has done over 100k

cuprakris

leon cupra
Dec 28, 2008
ipswich
52 plate cupra with leather here mine has 104k on it and its still like new and theres anouther guy on here with 140k aslong as its been well serviced it would be fine

mufcrbest87

I was thinking that because underneath they are basically VW golfs arnt they and as lng as they are looked after and screwed together properly they shud last forever

andycupra

status subject to change
'Cupras' were originally rebadged sports. (basically a sport will all the extras and rebadged in the UK as a cupra).
In fact the original cupras were £18,000 and are listed on the V5s as a sport.

It would appear that originally 'cupra' was actually a trim level thing, with sports being available and the cupra being being a sports will all the extras. (leather / memory, auto diming mirror, auto wiper, ESP etc etc) - as extras on their own i think they would have costed about £6,000 but if you got a cupra over a sport you get them all for £2,000 difference or something like that.

So if they say its a sport, but its got leather etc it likely to be a cupra.

Then, they dropped the 'sport', reduced the price of the cupra but made all the nice bits extras... so no leather etc. but did put in K03s turbo.

so, actually early cupras had alot more kit and IMO were better cars.

Due to the V5 thing many will be listed as sports but if they have leather are most likely cupras. later on they may be cupra, but may have less spec!

Last edited:

gazzarino_cupra

I did a reg check on mine before i bought it, it came up as a Seat Leon 1.8 20v T sport.
On my log book it says it is a cupra, It is an X reg 2001, confused me a bit.
The only difference i thought from looking on parkers website was that the sport is 180bhp and the cupra is 177?

mufcrbest87

yh i found that too the car i am looking at is a 2000 on an X and has electric, memory leather seat, climate control so ithink it has just been speced up by the previous owner, they have added a cupra R bodykit which looks fantastic

andycupra

status subject to change
yh i found that too the car i am looking at is a 2000 on an X and has electric, memory leather seat, climate control so ithink it has just been speced up by the previous owner, they have added a cupra R bodykit which looks fantastic

that will be a cupra.
but i bet the V5 shows it as a sport.
Like i say, the original cupras were basically sports brought in to the UK with all the extras and bebadged as cupras. They were sold for £18,000! They had leather memory seats, cruise, auto wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror, cd changer..

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I did a reg check on mine before i bought it, it came up as a Seat Leon 1.8 20v T sport.
On my log book it says it is a cupra, It is an X reg 2001, confused me a bit.
The only difference i thought from looking on parkers website was that the sport is 180bhp and the cupra is 177?

No difference engine wise whatsoever between Cupra and Sport, none. 180ps (pferde stark or german horsepower) is 177bhp, both are the same. K03 was on all early leon 1.8Ts, K03S and variable valve timing (VVT) came in from late 2000/early 2001 onwards with the AUQ engine. APP engines were all K03 turbos with a non VVT cylinder head and were fitted to cars built in 2000. There are a couple of other engine codes but they are much rarer, APP and AUQ being the main two.

AUQ is the more flexible of the engines. Its not down to the turbo, thats a very common misconception, its mainly as a result of the VVT equipped cylinder head on this engine. In short, if you can find an X plate Leon with memory electric leather interior, rain-sensor, ESP and an AUQ engine, you have a very rare car on your hands. My first Leon was one of these and I regret ever selling it, they are hens teeth. I'm more than happy with the 230bhp and 240lbs/ft of torque that my current AUQ engined Leon chucks out though. :D

The three letter engine code is stamped on the top left hand side of the engine at the front and is the first three digits of the engine number on the V5 Logbook document.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
In short, if you can find an X plate Leon with memory electric leather interior, rain-sensor, ESP and an AUQ engine, you have a very rare car on your hands.

:funk:Thats my car your describing:funk:
Was telling some one that my car had ESP but they would not have it, kept telling me it was a TCS button, ESP was only on the cupra r's he said:blink: