Dip-Stick problems

AL2007

Jun 6, 2007
North London (Spurs-Land)
As im running in a new engine thought I would just check the oil levels only to find half the dip-stick missing. All thats there is a thread, no markings to tell you max or min levels :(

So I rang the dealer up and he said bring the car in and we will look at it.

Well after looking at it for a few seconds he told me thats how they come on all new 1.6 engines :(

So I asked him to explain where the max and min levels are and he said its around here..I think.. and that even the seat technicians struggle to read the dip-sticks :blink:

Is he winding me up or anyone else with a 1.6 engine got the same dip-stick??? Seems crazy to me, how hard is it to put an old fashion one with markings on it [:@]

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/AL2007_bucket/carandbike016.jpg

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
my mate said the other day most manufacturers say to replace the dip stick every few services not that this is going 2 be yours a just never knew u had 2 lol

LeakyTurnip

Mull Fember
Feb 11, 2005
N.Ireland
Yep, that's the one. My 1.6 has the same dipstick. I was told that the oil level should be around the middle of the threaded (ribbed) bit. Although being black it can be a bit of a bugger to read!

Xe

well they can replace mine with one that you can read. :blink:

plus side is shoudnt need to check oil between services on modern cars ;)

I would if I was you. I checked mine a few weeks back and it was quite low.

john_ach

Apr 25, 2006
Yep, the oil should be in the 'ribbed' bit. Its actually pretty good as its easy to see where the oil has come up to by which little notches are filled with oil.
BTW my engine (1.6 too) drank oil for the first couple of thousand miles so def worth checking.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.