Dipping Nearside Mirror Not Working Properly

Simmo11

Jan 21, 2014
Burton on Trent
Hi,
I have a June 2013 registered Leon FR, which I have owned since Jan 2014.
The nearside mirror dips when I put it into reverse, but it does not always return to the correct position when I drive forward, especially if I switch the ignition off (if I reverse into a space). I realise that later 2013 cars had the dipping deleted as this was a known issue. Does anyone know if there is a fix for my car? Is there a service bulletin or something, I have tried to search the forum, but I can’t find anything. The reason I ask is because when I reported it to the dealers, they will not do anything as they couldn’t replicate the problem!
Thanks in advance.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Yes, mine did this after I had the tilt in reverse function enabled via VCDS. My first Leon Mk3 had the feature and it worked well but it was disabled on my ST, perhaps this is the reason why.

I noticed that it works for the first time you go through the process of setting it up but after that the mirror never returns to a high enough position, almost halfway to where you want it and the dipped position.

StylancePaul

CUPRA Owner
May 31, 2006
Cambridge, UK
Hi,
I have a June 2013 registered Leon FR, which I have owned since Jan 2014.
The nearside mirror dips when I put it into reverse, but it does not always return to the correct position when I drive forward, especially if I switch the ignition off (if I reverse into a space). I realise that later 2013 cars had the dipping deleted as this was a known issue. Does anyone know if there is a fix for my car? Is there a service bulletin or something, I have tried to search the forum, but I can’t find anything. The reason I ask is because when I reported it to the dealers, they will not do anything as they couldn’t replicate the problem!
Thanks in advance.

I have a 2013 registered Leon FR with this 'feature', after a couple of visits to the dealership trying to claim under warranty, I was told that there is no potentiometer inside the mirror unit, this means that the mirror has no way of knowing that it has returned to the position it was in when you put it into reverse and it dipped.

They did indeed remove the feature for a number of build weeks, and I believe its returned with a new type of mirror that has a potentiometer.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
my ST was built Nov 2013, and mirror works fine.
would suggest that you tel dealer it's a fitted feature that doesn't work and you require it fixed. How they do it isn't your problem - there's a warranty.
if he stalls, contact Seat Customer Service and tell them that your dealer is refusing to fix it under warranty and you want them to escalate it.
they'll find a cure between them...

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015
Hi,
it does not always return to the correct position when I drive forward, especially if I switch the ignition off (if I reverse into a space)

It returns in the correct position after you drive forward and you pick up some speed. At least this is what mine does (July 13 FR).

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
It returns in the correct position after you drive forward and you pick up some speed. At least this is what mine does (July 13 FR).
owners manual from June 2012 onward:
The mirror returns to its original position as soon as you drive forwards at over 15 km/h (10 mph) or switch off the ignition. It also returns to its original position if the position of the control is adjusted.

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
The feature was removed for a good number of weeks during 2013 due to the above concern. It was removed from feature brochures and price lists too.

It was reinstated to the build around December 2013. Therefore there are a chunk of MY13 cars out there without the mechanics installed. Others just have this feature disabled.

For further info see this thread: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=389054

Last edited:

Simmo11

Jan 21, 2014
Burton on Trent
Hi Folks,
Thanks very much for the responses. I did realise that it was fixed at the end of 2013. So it sounds like I need a new mirror assembly with the potentiometer inside. As the car was supplied with the dipping function enabled I should have a good case with Seat UK. Has anyone else had any success sorting this, or do you have any Seat official references for this?
Cheers

StylancePaul

CUPRA Owner
May 31, 2006
Cambridge, UK
Hi Folks,
Thanks very much for the responses. I did realise that it was fixed at the end of 2013. So it sounds like I need a new mirror assembly with the potentiometer inside. As the car was supplied with the dipping function enabled I should have a good case with Seat UK. Has anyone else had any success sorting this, or do you have any Seat official references for this?
Cheers

I had it looked at before they'd re added it, there was a SEAT bulletin detailing the issue, and a few things the dealers could try, that may now include replacing the mirror unit.

rambalad

Nov 1, 2013
Merseyside
I too have the 2013 dipping mirror problem. Had the car into the dealers yesterday and they showed me the only bulletin on the problem. It stated that Seat UK did not regard this as a warranty defect and more or less said tough, live with it. It would be interesting to see if anybody had the mirror replaced under warranty. At the moment i have asked the dealer to go back to pur wonderful Seat UK customer services department to get a response.

Simmo11

Jan 21, 2014
Burton on Trent
I have raised a case with Seat Customer Services. I put all of the detail that I have got from here into my email to them, as my June 2013 FR has an intermittent issue. This is the response that I have had from them:
'I can confirm there are no issues of this nature with your vehicle type. Our Technical Support Team have also confirmed there are no updates for software or recalls outstanding on your model.’
I don’t really know where to go from here as whenever I take it back to the dealers it always works properly.
Anyone got any official paperwork detailing this issue?
Cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.