DIY Service Guide: Fuel Filter, Oil+Oil Filter, Pollen Filter, Air Filter + MAF Clean

DonCarlos

El Salvador Pimp Daddy
Jul 31, 2015
On the Farm
when changing the fuel filter is it advisable to drain the fuel out of the old filter into a jug and pour it back into the new filter so it's not filled with air?

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Could put some NEW diesel in the filter if you wanted but it would get refilled on ignition (keep a little throttle to give it a chance to fill anyway).

You don't want to clean it out and fill it back up with dirt again :)

It's a good idea to just drain, not replace the fuel filter every so often. I do that each year for when I don't put an actual new filter in.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Stu

Sanky

Feb 1, 2016
Thanks for this great guide, I'm planning on doing my service tomorrow as it looks dry.

Just checking the parts I got from carparts4less, and my Mann fuel filter hasn't come with any of those small o-rings. I've checked online and not sure if it's meant to come with any, does anybody know for definite if it is meant to come with some.

Part number WK853/12

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Thanks for this great guide, I'm planning on doing my service tomorrow as it looks dry.

Just checking the parts I got from carparts4less, and my Mann fuel filter hasn't come with any of those small o-rings. I've checked online and not sure if it's meant to come with any, does anybody know for definite if it is meant to come with some.

Part number WK853/12

No problem :) a few years old now but still applies !!

Good luck on the DIY service !

The filter should come with replacement o-rings .. We talking fuel or oil filter here ?

Either way both should have replacement rubber washers

Cheers
Stu

tjhdexter

Mar 25, 2018
Newport, South Wales
Just wanted to say a huge thanks for posting this guide!

For someone that has never been mechanically minded, this guide made changing all the filters extremely easy! Still have the oil, oil filter to change and MAF to clean, but I’m sure that won’t be a problem now :D

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Just wanted to say a huge thanks for posting this guide!

For someone that has never been mechanically minded, this guide made changing all the filters extremely easy! Still have the oil, oil filter to change and MAF to clean, but I’m sure that won’t be a problem now :D

Absolutely no problem at all, after all these years I'm still glad its giving some value :)

Surprised the pictures are still hosted somewhere!!

Cheers
-Stu

Rioja Cupra

Sep 11, 2016
Could put some NEW diesel in the filter if you wanted but it would get refilled on ignition (keep a little throttle to give it a chance to fill anyway).
Stu

After the nightmare I've just been through, I would strongly recommend filling the new fuel filter unless you like bleeding injector systems.