Does mk1 LCR have to have XL/Extra Load rated tyres?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I've got 2 nearly slick Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas on the front wheels right now, and have a nail in one of the rears so looking to get a full set of fresh Vredesteins at the moment. The current Vredesteins are stock LCR fitment, 225/40/R18 and show a speed/load rating of 92Y. They also have the words "EXTRA LOAD" written on the sidewall.

So looking online for these tyres it seems that I can get them in 225/40/R18 92Y XL. I take it I'm right in assuming that XL means "EXTRA LOAD" (as printed on current tyres)? The reason I ask is because I rang a couple of local places for prices on supply and fitting tyres thinking if they were about the same as me supplying them online and getting them fitted locally then I'd just to that to save hassle. They both said those tyres don't come with XL rating, although Camskill and mytyres.co.uk both show that for those ones.

I guess the other question is, does the LCR even need XL/Extra Load rated tyres in the first place?

Last edited:

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I'm sure mine said xl on the receipt and extra load on the wall. I will take a look soon when I am with the car.

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Possibly related or not.. I was using Goodyear eagle f1s then asymmetrics for the last 4years then when at the end of last year got a set if Falken fk452s.

They said they were XL (reinforced) on the website but when I got them couldn't see a stamp.

I have noticed a lot more roll in the corners, just don't feel as good as the goodyears.

A cheeper tyre yes but I wonder if what I feel is due to the lack of reinforcement??

Maybe due to the weight on the front LC /LCR ??

Just a thought

Last edited:

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
I have had a look and they are 92y and also have extra load on the wall. Come to think of it I had eagle f1's on before the vreds and I'm sure they had something like xl on them aswell. I seem to remember having a conversation a while ago where I found out that different ratings were for different max speeds but unfortunately cannot remember if it is the 92 or the y that would be the speed rating. As said I'm sure my goodyears had something like xl on them so maybe it is due to the Leon's weight?

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Yeah man, my goodyears had the XL markings, my falkens don't.

Will definatly be making sure that the next set of tyres have the XL mark.

IMHO it is needed for cornering if nothing else

adamstreeter

Feb 10, 2010
personally I found the 452's to be absolute cack, no confidence in the rain used to waterplane like mad! Got a pair of Goodyear eagle f1 ASM 2's on now and the difference is night and day, they are a brilliant tyre and always come highly commended in the tyre tests

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
I totally agree.

Goodyears are a completely different driving experience over the Falken fk452s.

Maybe I soiled myself by always having goodyears on the car since I got it 4years ago. You definatly get what you pay for....

I have not seen any XL markings on my tyres. It was very easy to spot on the goodyears both the f1s and asyms.

I won't be using falkens ever again.

Last edited:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Right, I have just received my Falken FK452's and have had them twice before.........they are good in the wet as I have had experience of. They DO come stamped with 'Extra Load' if you ordered them as such...............
IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

All I would say is each to their own.

YellowLCR

Jun 13, 2010
West Yorkshire
Before I bought my LCR the garage put some garbage Marshall tyres that were 88W non XL tyres on it to get it through the MOT i think. The first serious pothole I drove over after I bought it the tyre bottomed out and bent the alloy. XL is a must on Cupra's and R's, your alloys won't last long otherwise.
I put vreds 92Y XL on after that and it was fine.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Slightly off topic Niall but have you considered other tyres from the Vredsteins? I had the Sessnta's previously and would say that there are others out there a lot more worth fitting including Goodyear, Pirelli and Michelin.

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Bruce,
Yeah I ordered mine and they said reinforced XL but when got them I couldn't see the mark.

Maybe I'm being a numpty, lol.

I'm going to go and check them right now...

rob - 73

Jun 26, 2007
Hamilton / Glasgow
Apologies to all...

My Falken fk452s are marked as extra load. The text is tiny..lol

I'm obviously getting old... Or used to seeing the XL after the sizes in larger text.

Oh well there you go. Still much prefer the goodyears, more stable in the corners.

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
Most people don't realise what those number mean after the sizing on the tire, a lot of people know about the speed rating (Z etc) but not the load rating.

The load rating is very important and makes a massive difference to the structure of the tyre, side wall stiffness etc...and sometimes a reflection in the price.

I used to run a porsche 911 and they and certain other manufactures insisted on running "N rated" tyres.... this was just a type approval sign that meant the tyres met certain criteria and had been tested (they normally costed more due to the tyre manufactures having to pay for the lengthy testing procedures done)
I actually decided to run non N Rated tyres (toyo R888's) but i checked the load specifications / speed specifications and made sure they were exceeded.
When i was looking for tyres there were several manufactures that listed tyres of the same size / speed rating but with different load ratings - the prices varied massively between these.

So i'm guessing check the owners book to see what you should be running before ordering tyres online etc as there's more to it than meets the eye.