Does your car misfire on tickover

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
As post says really.
My cupra was missfiring on tickover (standard car) sounded like exhaust blowing and popping.
Dealers didnt really take it seriously and just changed the exhaust which didnt fix it.
So then over a matter of 4 weeks decided to change random parts , maf, injectors, coil packs oh and a new cat , all of which didnt do a thing.

In the end i phoned SEAT customer care and my car was booked to go back in.

SEAT technical told the garage to carry out a few tests and found the compression ratio on cylinder 3 to be very high , which lends itself to a valve problem.

cylinder number 3 sticks out because there have been a few S3 boys having missfiring with cylinder number 3 as well.

any way the dealers were told to remove the head and strip it down and inspect it and report their findings.
Basiclly the exhaust valves on cylinder number 3 were siezed , SEAT instructed a new head to be fitted , oh and new cat and a new ecu , but its still in the garage and wont be ready until the end of next week :cry:

so if anyone else gets the same symptoms dont rely on the garage telling you there is nothing wrong , mine had no fault codes but needed old school diagnostics to find the fault.

The whole process has taken 4 months to get resolved , with the car effectivly running on 3 cylinders for the last 7,000 miles , the garage didnt take it seriously at all , but i have requested that the garages MD be present when i collect my car.

to say i was fumming would be an understatement [:@]

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
so if anyone else gets the same symptoms dont rely on the garage telling you there is nothing wrong , mine had no fault codes but needed old school diagnostics to find the fault.

If one post summed up what is wrong with dealers (regardless of marque) then this is it.

It's hugely unlikely that any 'technician' has ever had to do any investigative work, just change the oil, fault code scan & joyride. NEXT JOB.

I'm glad it's fixed, but really you're very lucky that the cams / piston aren't damaged

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
If one post summed up what is wrong with dealers (regardless of marque) then this is it.

It's hugely unlikely that any 'technician' has ever had to do any investigative work, just change the oil, fault code scan & joyride. NEXT JOB.

I'm glad it's fixed, but really you're very lucky that the cams / piston aren't damaged

well there could be things they not telling me , so we will have to wait and see.

thing was they didnt know how to change the head , had to wait (apparently) on SEAT technical telling them what to do?

on monday 22nd december i got a phone call to say good news and bad news , good news is the head change has got rid of your missfire , bad news is the engine warning light came on during a road test and the fault code dianosis is the timing is out.

so they even put it back together wrong ! [:@]
will be ready for collection week begining 5th of Jan. :censored:

H8T WP

well there could be things they not telling me , so we will have to wait and see.

thing was they didnt know how to change the head , had to wait (apparently) on SEAT technical telling them what to do?

on monday 22nd december i got a phone call to say good news and bad news , good news is the head change has got rid of your missfire , bad news is the engine warning light came on during a road test and the fault code dianosis is the timing is out.

so they even put it back together wrong ! [:@]
will be ready for collection week begining 5th of Jan. :censored:

shi t bruv.. whos doing it? hampton court?

leon_2009

i have the same proplem in my FR and i leave the car for one mounth in the company but they fix the car but i did not know what they do but my car is very good

I have q. if there is a proplem in the cam shaft the car cut off or i less power in my car ?

THIS THE PART IN MY CAR
FSI PUMP FROM APR
CHIP APR
FULL EXU. 3 INCH.
NUWSPEED AIR INTAKE LONG
DAIVERT VALVE FROM FORGE
LOW SPRING
AND IN TAKE PIPE

HOW MUCH H. P, I GET?????

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
yup
8 weeks and counting [:@]

and for some reason they not answering the phone today , but i know they are back today :cry:

just makes me more and more frustrated !

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
tried a different number and got hold of them ,

the engine light wont go off now.:censored:

the timing is now apparently spot on but something else is fried [:@]

said be ready tomorrow , not holding my breath , reckon friday earliest.

well as long as they fix it and not just remove the bulb from the dash :whistle:

H8T WP

frustrating i know! i had a prob with my silver leon mk2 cupra and garage had it ages :( im sure they are doing their best. they have to follow their computers tho and cant actually be real mechanics and do stuff untill the computer tells them, its ghey

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
phoned again this evening and ................ stiil cant fix the fault which is making the engine light stay on.

was defitatley going to be ready today , ah there goes another flying pig :blink:

H8T WP

must be a sensor somewhere.. get them to log the fault codes and post them here or something, i bet we could do a better job lol

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
Shame you are getting all this crud. To play devil's advocate, the manufacturers have a lot of sway with dealers on what they can and cannot do when it comes to troubleshooting. Also the dealer themselves will no doubt have to protect their own resources from being used up doing work which may NOT be paid for from Seat. If you went to an indie and paid your own cash (not that I would advocate when a warranty cover is available) I could bet my last pound that they would be able to diagnose the car in a very short space of time.

Hope you get it sorted in time for the 1st. If you don't and still want to get upto the Pod, give me a shout and you can jump in with me. PM me if you have any Q's.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
If you went to an indie and paid your own cash (not that I would advocate when a warranty cover is available) I could bet my last pound that they would be able to diagnose the car in a very short space of time.

That is the right answer. I've used AmD, Stealth, Dialynx to resolve issues dealers couldn't fix. Sometimes for the sake of your own sanity it is worth paying out a few quid to get it done. Issues that the dealers have spend > 1 day on have been resolved in under 10 minutes (I jest you not - m0rk on here witnessed this on my old LCR at Stealth with a split DV hose that a dealer had failed to spot in 2 days, so I'm not making it up!)

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Shame you are getting all this crud. To play devil's advocate, the manufacturers have a lot of sway with dealers on what they can and cannot do when it comes to troubleshooting. Also the dealer themselves will no doubt have to protect their own resources from being used up doing work which may NOT be paid for from Seat. If you went to an indie and paid your own cash (not that I would advocate when a warranty cover is available) I could bet my last pound that they would be able to diagnose the car in a very short space of time.

Hope you get it sorted in time for the 1st. If you don't and still want to get upto the Pod, give me a shout and you can jump in with me. PM me if you have any Q's.

cheers for that ,
hopefully will be fixed this week , i rekon its the cam positioning sensor myself but who am i? lol

for servicing i am going to use Amd Woking , simon who did my revo code (on my mk1 leon) owns it and i trust him.
tbh i would take my car now to an independant but they wont release the car to me because they dont know what damage would happen , sensible really.

i know its crap but it maybe something some one else finds useful now its posted on here for the future.

will let you all know whats happening.
def need it back 2 good meets coming up , no rice next wed night and the following wed vag meet in kingston .

Last edited:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
cox , just out of intrest did you suffer with the bad injector problem some of the other S3 boys have had?
oh and btw i would have swapped franz for pedro on my car lol

I had an issue where around 5000rpm upwards the car would stutter badly under heavy acceleration. I took it to the Audi dealer in Newbury and they basically told me after having the car for 2.5 days to clear off as I had a Forge 007P and it was that which was causing the issue. I took the Forge DV off and the piston was sticking so I replaced it with the OE one drove to Forge, and they replaced it for me and fitted the new one.

No difference at all!!

So at this point I was starting to panic as I didn't know where to look next. In the end I pulled out the OE plugs and they were absolutely black. I changed them for NGK Iridiums and touch wood since then I have had no further problems. This was at 11k miles. Still never really sure what the source of the issue was, but the NGK Iridiums supposedly put less demand on the coil packs and seem to burn the fuel well, so fingers just crossed really. When you're getting no error codes you've got no chance with the dealer group.

JUS CRU-ZN

BOOST JUNKIE!!
Mar 14, 2008
@COXW... I've begun getting this problem now!! On my cupra... booking it in to the stealer next week. Also got a blown rear silencer an car only done 7 000km(bout 4000miles) and all stock!!!

VAG log shows higher than normal knck levels and wen pushing the car the engine management ligh goes on!!

How's this possible???

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Interesting read this. Hope it all gets sorted for you mate. Keep us posted.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise