Dpf help. New leon owner. Possibly been gutted.

StuntmanDan95

Apr 9, 2015
So I've recently bought a 56plate Leon fr 170. Whilst poking around my engine bay I've noticed that the exhaust pressure sensor has no vac lines to it, and the metal pipes from the dpf look to have been welded up on the ends.
Now I'm wondering if my dpf has been gutted? The dpf light comes on the dash when ignition is switched on then goes off. I have tapped on it but have nothing to compare too so unsure if it sounds hollow. I was going to remove lambda and see if I can see inside but don't have the right tools. Can anyone confirm the size of lambda sensor before I buy the tool..?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
If the pressure pipes have been welded and your not getting any warning lights or running issues then the dpf is not there or not working.

Do you have access to vagcom or a decent scanner with live data? Check the live data for pressure sensors and it will tell you instantly if you have dpf filter inside.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

StuntmanDan95

Apr 9, 2015
Nope, no warning lights or running issues. I don't have access to vagcom, gonna pull the lambda sensor out soon as I'm on a night shift with nothing to do, I'll try my reader too and see what it says. Thanks for the info.

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Just be careful that what ever you put in to check can't fall off and get stuck infuse exhaust lol that's the kind of luck I had.

The lambda sensor is an absolute pig to get into back there, I don't know if you will be easier removing the 2 torxs and lifting the panel at top of bulkhead to try get some purchase on lambda sensor. Good luck and let me kbiw how you get on.

elnigel

Nov 25, 2002
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Visit site
Daft question here (sorry!) Is a 56 plate a bit early for a dpf? And also, if there's no dpf, or if it's been gutted, would you know because you get black smoke from the exhaust when you boot it?

I never had a dpf TDI, swapped to petrols after my Toledo 150tdi 1.9. so I could be talking rubbish here!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
No such thing as a daft question, very valid point. It could have been a 1.9 on that age I'm sure. I just assumed it was the same as mine because its an fr170. Which would be 2.0 16v?

I've got a miltek sports dpf on mine and hybrid turbo, doesn't smoke to much to be honest.

StuntmanDan95

Apr 9, 2015
It's mk2, 56 plate, fr170 2.0tdi bmn, deffo got a dpf there lol and it does smoke a little bit, not massive amounts. I had a go at pulling o2 sensor out but you're right what a pig! ! Gonna go get a proper socket today and try that

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
If the pressure differential sensor has been disconnected and the pipes welded up and the car still drives fine then that's a pretty sure indication that the DPF has been gutted. It would have almost certainly clogged up by now if the innards were still there. It sounds like it's been mapped out which is why you don't have any errors showing.

It'd be worth checking to see if the EGR has been removed / blanked off too.

How long have you had the car and when was the last MOT? With the new rules that came in this year pretty much any smoke from a diesel that had a DPF fitted from the factory will be a fail now.

Last edited:

StuntmanDan95

Apr 9, 2015
Thanks for the info, I think egr is still working tbh but will look into it. Doesn't look like there's a blanking plate on the front pipe, will get under and see if the back has a blanking plate. I've only had it a couple weeks. Mot is in Feb so I'll try and get something sorted.

Sturtz1987

Nov 18, 2015
Ayrshire
Just wrote a big spec list and it's deleted it when I clicked edit. I'm by with this taptalk app again.

StuntmanDan95

Apr 9, 2015
I got it by email lol Ive just read it, very nice, how much was sports dpf. There's a few bits on there I don't even know what they are lol

Orangieboom

Dec 4, 2018
DPF light would come on within a few miles if the vac lines were missing so its 100% been mapped out.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise