DPF illegal

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
It always baffled me that even though its illegal, you see companies with blatant advertisement for it and nothing is done about it.

And MOT testers will only report/fail your car if there is obvious signs of tampering of the exhaust system where the DPF should be. So most places cut and gut from the top of the exhaust so it can't be seen from below during inspection.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
It always baffled me that even though its illegal, you see companies with blatant advertisement for it and nothing is done about it.

And MOT testers will only report/fail your car if there is obvious signs of tampering of the exhaust system where the DPF should be. So most places cut and gut from the top of the exhaust so it can't be seen from below during inspection.

I know! It's ridiculous, and then you'll get people telling you nobody will ever know and just to get it done!

This is what's been addressed by the article I linked to. They are tightening up the laws. It is a criminal offence to provide a service that tampers with an emissions device so removing the DPF or deleting the software etc.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The annoying thing is they hike the prices of "legally required parts"

As soon as CAT removal became illegal - the price of CATs doubled

When DPF removal became illegal - the cost of replacements became silly money.

If the governments actually gave a **** about emissions - the price of the critical equipment should be capped or subsidised.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site

garybuttle

Oct 27, 2011
That is a good start, the next logical step would be a crack down on illegal HID lights!

Yes and the brain dead morons that just wind their dipped beam up so they can see better and dazzle everyone else . If they think their lights are adjusted wrong just take it to a garage and get them checked properly,not rocket science is it.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
yup the old dipped beam thats too high gets on my nerves, shame you cant have an auto dimming setting on the door mirrors like there is on the rear view mirror

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
yup the old dipped beam thats too high gets on my nerves, shame you cant have an auto dimming setting on the door mirrors like there is on the rear view mirror

Drivers one does on the Passat. Both did on a previous Citroen, mind you, you could have dipping AND heated mirrors on that at the same time....... ;)

CharlesTheTog

Jan 28, 2015
I think a bit more education is needed on this. It is only illegal if the DPF is removed on a road car. So people offering this service like myself clearly state it is for track and off road use only.

And you are right, the cost of a legal requirement is extortionate. DPF prices range from £500-2000 depending on the car. As you have stated before they were a legal requirement the max you'd pay was like £300

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
It is only illegal if the DPF is removed on a road car. So people offering this service like myself clearly state it is for track and off road use only.

I wonder how many people offering the DPF Delete service for "off road or track" vehicles would turn away a customer with a car that was obviously used on the road?

CharlesTheTog

Jan 28, 2015
I wonder how many people offering the DPF Delete service for "off road or track" vehicles would turn away a customer with a car that was obviously used on the road?

I agree, you have a good point. I've gone a good few, mostly on cars I know for a fact get tracked (either caged cars or people I've been on trackdays with)

KenTT

I agree, you have a good point. I've gone a good few, mostly on cars I know for a fact get tracked (either caged cars or people I've been on trackdays with)

The only way to be sure is to see the trailer it arrived on I guess ;)

CharlesTheTog

Jan 28, 2015
Also it's worth mentioning the illegal part is actually removing the DPF unit it's self. Flashing the ECU to remove the CEL is perfectly legal (still have to declare it to insurance though)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members