Drilled air box

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I was feeling a bit old whilst washing the FR today and I needed a pick me up. I got my drill out, removed the air box, drilled 8 20mm holes in the back of it and now I feel much younger :lol:

The sound is quite subtle at the moment but I think it sounds well tasty :D

No difference is sound at all on tickover too.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think I can afford to loose 1 or 2 ps if my holes are positioned wrong.

The holes are right by the suspension turret where the normal drain holes are anyway.

I have an intercooler so any warm air being sucked it will get cooled down as the cooler does it's job.

As far as I'm concerned it's a free smile.

mymorph

Feb 21, 2005
wolves
i dont think the drilled air holes will suck in hot air.
my theory:

when travelling:
air is pushed into the air box via pressure from the front air feed, the holes allow some air to escape, circulating more air and therefore cooler. the faster your travelling the greater the air flow into the airbox.

when at standstill:
some warm air sucked in when accelerating hard from standstill.

but i could be wrong:headhurt:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think it will probably suck in a small amount of air frum around the front suspension turret, this air may be a few degrees warmer. as for power loss I don't have a calibrated rolling road built into my arse and I personally can't tell the difference between 150ps and 148ps so who knows if my intercooler will cool this air or not. TBH I really don't care as it makes a much better sound now and I'm not in the habit of measuring my 0-60 time on an hourly basis at Mcdonalds drivethrough.

If I get fed up with it (I doubt that I will) I can go to a scrapyard and pick up a new air box for a few quid.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I have done this to my FR... great mod! You can hear the turbo and DV loads more too! Mine looks like swiss cheese now...

Did you go for the Swiss cheese straight away or did you start of with just a few holes at first?

I'm asking because I'm interested how far to go before it gets silly loud.

Does the Swiss cheese way make it sound boomy on tickover?

jamest87

lead foot
Feb 10, 2009
thanet. margate
I'm not in the habit of measuring my 0-60 time on an hourly basis at Mcdonalds drivethrough.

we get that where i live.. what a bunch of losers....

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Did you go for the Swiss cheese straight away or did you start of with just a few holes at first?

I'm asking because I'm interested how far to go before it gets silly loud.

Does the Swiss cheese way make it sound boomy on tickover?

I went a bit mad to start with and it only sounds boomy for the 100 seconds it runs rich (or whatever it does) when you start it up from cold. After that it doesn't sound any different from normal.

I actually removed it and drilled MORE holes in it the other day as I love the sound of the turbo spooling up and the Forge 007p DV working when you life off the throttle. I have also reversed my DV and it makes a good chirp now!! :cartman:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I went a bit mad to start with and it only sounds boomy for the 100 seconds it runs rich (or whatever it does) when you start it up from cold. After that it doesn't sound any different from normal.

I actually removed it and drilled MORE holes in it the other day as I love the sound of the turbo spooling up and the Forge 007p DV working when you life off the throttle. I have also reversed my DV and it makes a good chirp now!! :cartman:

Yeah, I drilled mine in the garage and then started it from cold (engine last run about 4 days ago) and it sounded boomy. I had a DOH! what have I done moment and then It came off of fast idol and it was fine.

I've been driving it today with the windows down and it sounds pukka. I may drill some moore later

Last edited:

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Yeah, I drilled mine in the garage and then started it from cold (engine last run about 4 days ago) and it sounded boomy. I had a DOH! what have I done moment and then It came off of fast idol and it was fine.

I've been driving it today with the windows down and it sounds pukka. I may drill some moore later :rolleyes:

Cool! Do it, you won't be disappointed. I was a bit worried about the possibility of water and spray getting in from underneath but I don't think it will be an issue really. :D

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Yeah,that's why I only did a few holes at the rear/passenger side close to the turret. I thought the water would have less chance of getting near there.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.