Drilled air box

JTD-ED

:)just done it, and yes it dose sound pretty beef on the TDI lol :)
Thank you! :)

It's probably the seconday air pump that you can hear. It sucks in air from the air box (or not if you have a cone filter ;)) and pumps it out behind the exhaust valves to make a very lean mix. This increase exhaust temps and get the lamda probes and cat up to temperature quickly so they properly.

I guess if you have a drilled air box, it's sucking this air through the holes and if you have a cone filter, the sound isn't being muffled by the air box.

My air box isn't drilled, I just removed the trumpet. I think it would be too loud along with the Milltek and Forge TIP!

just adding to this comment really as its more than correct but i think the airfilter aswell as the airbox just silences it from cold.
people put a small filter on the pipe that goes to the airbox normally when they get the open cone filter i think its just to silence it maybe and possible to filter the air. i never drive my car untill the noise stops so i dont use a mini filter on mine.

you should try the open cone filter kriso if you dont sell soon. you dont get a loud roar as such you just hear the turbo spool and dv sound a lot more although my open cone did change the exhaust note a wee bit.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Yea it's tempting to get a Halfords one or something :) But I don't fancy fiddling with the airbox and strut brace again.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
It's probably the seconday air pump that you can hear. It sucks in air from the air box (or not if you have a cone filter ;)) and pumps it out behind the exhaust valves to make a very lean mix. This increase exhaust temps and get the lamda probes and cat up to temperature quickly so they properly.

I guess if you have a drilled air box, it's sucking this air through the holes and if you have a cone filter, the sound isn't being muffled by the air box.

My air box isn't drilled, I just removed the trumpet. I think it would be too loud along with the Milltek and Forge TIP!

OK thanks for that, now that I have had some more time I have sorted it.

You are correct in what you have said. It is an air pump that connects to the side of the air box via a 1 inch hose that is causing the boomy noise and it causes an echo in my now drilled air box. I have removed the pipe and plugged the hole in my air box with a gromet (looks OEM) and used a gloss paint mini foam roller (fits a treat and looks OEM) to act as a filter for the end of the pipe that I disconnected.

No more boomy sounds on cold idol and still plenty of turbo sounds from my drilled air box.

Happy days :clap:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise