Driver Side HID flickering

Mar 5, 2007
Hey Chaps,

I recently bought a set of HIDs of ebay. The set from Diane shop that a lot of people seem to of bought. I've had them a couple of weeks and everything seemed fine. But just today, the driver side light started to flicker. Sometimes it would flicker slightly. Others, very badly, and sometimes this would be followed by the light switching off completely (until I turned the headlights off then on again).

Mid trip I briefly checked the connections from the ballast to the original wiring and it seemed ok, but haven't done anything else as yet.

As it's the easiest option (as we all know it's fidly down by the passenger side) I shall try and swap the ballasts round first and see what happens, but does anyone know what this could be? Dody ballast, dodgy bulb, dodgy voltage from the car etc?

Just to note, the Passenger side one seems fine so far. But I do have a slight issue that I've noticed with the car, that if stuck in traffic and the fan kicks in to high speed and the engine is only idling the interior light switches start to flash unlessl I up the engine revs a little. Though I've had the alternator checked and it's charging fine.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Sounds like you may have lost your slow fans. Do a search on here for LCR slow fans - there's a BIG thread (covers all models, not just LCR).

Quick test for the fans - start engine cold and turn on A/C - slow fans should start, if they don't then they're broken

Mar 5, 2007
I KNOW i've lost my slow fans. :( But would that cause the drop in power on the car, as I'm assuming regardless of the slow setting, the high speed setting will still be used sometimes.

In regards to the HIDs, the flickering can happen at any speed/engine revs.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
The only way you gonna tell is to swap the ballasts and bulbs to the good one and see if it still happens. If it's the bulb then you should easily get a replacement. If it's the ballast then contact the seller.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
The induction from the fast fans kicking in will be enough to start the interior lights flickering - its a big old motor. It's a similar problem that the Ibizas have, where the power steering motor (electro-hydraulic steering in them) draws large currents making the lights dim and flicker when at idle

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
I bought the same set from Dianne Shop last week, installed them, and one of the lights flickered and went off. This kept happening. until i looked closely at one of the ballasts. One of the wires was loose, and when i touched it, it actually came out, so i secured it again, with a dab of super glue and it works fine.

Unfortunatly this is the risk we take when we buy cheap, quality is sacrificed.

Mar 5, 2007
hey Empi. Would you be able to pinpoint, with the aid of a photo, which wire this was exactly?

Thanks matey!

Mar 5, 2007
Well, I just swapped the ballasts round, and the problem swapped with it.

Has anyone else had issues with the ebay sets, and know what I'd do about getting a return sorted??

Thanks

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Follow the thick pipe down from the ballast,

SPM_A0074.jpg

its the connection at the end of the pipe, one is black the other red, You could pull the black connector out, this is the one i glued.

SPM_A0073.jpg

I actually emailed the seller to tell him the problem. he was very helpful. If you are prepared to send it back then he would replace them.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I thought they are pretty well put together, wiring and connector wise. There is bound to be the odd one that has a fault though. The seller does seem genuine so unless you can have a look at the wiring then send it back. I wouldn't have thought a single ballast is that much to post. Have him pay your return postage also. :)

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Glad you have pinpointed the problem mate.

A load of people have bought HID's from this seller (I ordered mine last night) - and most people are very happy.

Contact the seller & explain the situation :)

Keep us updated

Mar 5, 2007
Thanks to Empi for the pictures. I did fiddle with the wire last night, and this morning didn't notice any flickering of the light. Though it was quite light out already, and I couldn't see the beam on the road so can't be entirely sure. No, I don't usually drive with my xenons on during the day, but this was for testing :)

I've messaged the seller so will see what they say, and will give the lights another run tonight.

Of course I'll keep this updated for everyone else's reference!

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Hi mate - just noticed this on the feedback page - didn't know you could do this for free.........

FAULTY BALLIST offered to exchange but at my COST to return when sent faulty !! Buyer:
keith6408 ( 138 [Feedback score is 100 to 499] )
Oct-08-07 12:52

Reply by diane-shop (Oct-08-07 16:59):
Unfair!you can use our original envelope to do "return to sender"

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Hi mate - just noticed this on the feedback page - didn't know you could do this for free.........

FAULTY BALLIST offered to exchange but at my COST to return when sent faulty !! Buyer:
keith6408 ( 138 [Feedback score is 100 to 499] )
Oct-08-07 12:52

Reply by diane-shop (Oct-08-07 16:59):
Unfair!you can use our original envelope to do "return to sender"

Yep agreed he told me that as well, but as i ripped open the package in excitement, that wasnt going to happen.

Mar 5, 2007
so basically it's going to cost me 15 in postage...I could probably buy a new ballast for that amount...

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
Guess what Number 86! I have EXACTLY the same problem!

I have checked my ballast wiring and no problems with it as far as i can see...

tomorrow when its light again i will swap over the ballast and see if the same happens..

yesterday when fitted i tried for the first time, and the bulb didn't come on at all, thought, fack faulty bulb, then it came back on again later on...

then i went out when both were installed, got to asda and the bulb was out...turned off and turned back on and was all ok.

got home and still ok, tried tonite, got about 2 mins of use with couple of flickers, then it went out, and wouldn't go back on again! :(

Any ideas?

Im going to swap the ballasts tomorrow to check them! :(

Installed a kit before on my Cupra R and had no problems at all!

Rich

Mar 5, 2007
Hey Mate,

Sounds like the ballast issue again. You take dems chances when you takes dem cheaps...or something :)

Diane shop swapped it out without problem. The only problem is waiting for the bloody delivery!!

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
yeah, bit annoying when ist getting dark, il probably stick the other bulbs back in again when i get chance....bit of an arse tho!

Yeah swapped ballasts this morning and the good bulb started to flicker..

did diane shop make you pay the £15 delivery?

Just wandering whether or not just to buy another kit and get my money back on the other one, or get it and sell it?