Droning noise on braking / tyres worn on both edges

Danny_B

Jul 24, 2007
Essex
Hi All,

Just got a couple of issues with the Beeza.

1st problem,
When braking at low speeds (under 15mph) i get a droning noise which sounds the same as a bus coming to a stop! This is an intermitant problem which only seems to happen after a half hour drive. Front & rear discs & pads are wearing low but no metal to metal or anything!

2nd problem,
Both inner & outer edges of the front tyres have worn right down leaving the centre with lots more tread. Is this just due to the tyres being under inflated?

Would be a great help if anyone knows whats causing these problems!

Cheers

Atlantia

Nov 18, 2008
The South West
Hi All,

Just got a couple of issues with the Beeza.

2nd problem,
Both inner & outer edges of the front tyres have worn right down leaving the centre with lots more tread. Is this just due to the tyres being under inflated?

Would be a great help if anyone knows whats causing these problems!

Cheers

Possibly tyre pressure, so check that first. Are they standard size?
Its strange for both to be wearing unevenly on both sides.

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
Sorry to ask the obvious but

1. Have you recently had your tyres changed? Were they balances up correctly?
2. When was the last time you had a full geometry check?

I think otherwise as said you probably have under inflated tyres or you have been going sideways toomuch LOL

Last edited:

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
i would say tyre pressure for the tyres...

high PSI = only middle of the tyre getting worn,
low PSI = inner and outer edge of tyre getting worn due to side wall having to support more of the tyre.

1st problem could be something to do with the abs

Danny_B

Jul 24, 2007
Essex
They are standard wheels which seem to be balanced fine as theres no steering wobble. Tracking seems ok too.

I bought the car with these tyres so theres a good chance that they have been run under inflated at some point before.

The brake noise is more of a loud humming noise, i wouldn't say it was abs related. Im thinking of replaced all brake discs & pads with some decent ones and going from there.

Cheers for the feedback.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I get the humming/droning noise too - very annoying.

Just had four new tyres and full geometry alignment so I know it's not that - I wonder if it's because of the grooves on my disks. I'm running Ferrodo DS2500 pads - both of which were fitted ~8,000 miles ago

ian_cupra

what tyres are you using? i know some makes of tyre are know to do this, such as goodyear eagle f1's, but only the ones made in china, the german ones dont do it

if its not these tyres then it could be under inflation of the tyre

do you have grooved discs? this can make a humming/droning noise

Danny_B

Jul 24, 2007
Essex
The front tyres or some **** make to be honest and i cant even remember the make.

I'm going to replace them in the next couple of weeks (any recomendations?) but just wanted to see what could be causing it so i don't ruin the new ones!

If it's under inflation causing the problem i will be fine cos i check mine once a week.

No im running standard discs & pads all round!

Cheers

ian_cupra

not sure about noise then, but tyre wise i'd get goodyear f1's, alot of people will give loads of other tyre choices though, but i've not come across a better tyre for the wet and the dry! work well on track too ;)

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
If it was a wheel bearing would it not make the noise all the time though? Could be wrong, just curious why it's only when braking as I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

I personally think mine may be the discs as it's been like it on two sets of different tyres (BF Goodrich and Uniroyal), both inflated to 32-34 PSI

Danny_B

Jul 24, 2007
Essex
I seriously doubt it being a wheel bearing. I have no bearing noise at all just just a loud droning/humming noise when braking at low speeds. I think its my rear pads, so im gonna replace rear discs & pads 1st. They need doing really and should cure the noise.

I'll keep you posted.

I'm going to buy some new front tyres, i can get Toyo T1R's cheap, is anyone running them? If so would you recommend?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd certainly reckon that inside + outside wear is down to serious underflation at some point in these tyres life.

Droning from the rear only during braking, I'd reckon is being caused by corroded discs - did you check both sides of each disc to make sure that they are "nice and shiny"?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.