Dropped 10mm bit in engine bay

such

Feb 14, 2009
I've been attempting to fix the rear washer problem in my wifes mk4 ibiza, where water is coming from the ns front underneath. Whilst trying to remove the air fllter box, the 10mm bit I was using fell off into the recess between the battery and washer bottle and has now gone underneath:censored:
I cannot see it now and the only option is to remove the battery, which seems a right pain as I don't have the correct tools handy.

If i left the bit in there, is it likely to cause any damage, or will it eventually work itself out from the engine bay.

My wife will do her nut if she finds out!
I feel like such a:censored:

Thanks

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Done that a few times. Nothing to worry about, can't think there's too many moving parts at the bottom. You can take the undertray off to retrive it, it's only 6 or 7 screws to undo.

If not, you can buy a telescopic rod with a magnet at the end.

such

Feb 14, 2009
Done that a few times. Nothing to worry about, can't think there's too many moving parts at the bottom. You can take the undertray off to retrive it, it's only 6 or 7 screws to undo.

If not, you can buy a telescopic rod with a magnet at the end.

Thanks, its not on the bottom "tray" beneath, but somewhere between under battery and bodywork!.

I'll keep my fingers crossed then.

Thanks

Mar 25, 2009
bath
I wudnt worry mate, most things will end up in your engine bay like stones etc through the grills anyway

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
It should be fine, it cant get into anything serious.

You could probably fill a small tool box with the bits and bobs i've lost over the years..lol

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well, when my wife had a 1990 Fiesta Ghia, one summer there was a rattle behind O/S passenger door - I found a spare door lock striker plate had broken free from the cavity wax stuff - so retrieved it and another and another - so ended up with three surplus door lock striker plates - I wonder how many other Fiestas went out with a few extra striker plates? Well it wasn't the plate but the threaded back plate.

Personally I'd be worried that you have annoyed the spiders that normally live down there, AND, where you are going to buy a replacement bit as one day you will need it?

The other thing that you might consider is that when or if this ends dropping down onto the road, the next car might either catch it in one of its radiators, or as happened to me in a front tyre! In my case my car was three weeks old and I caught half a Ford exhaust manifold clamp in a tyre - that was the end of that tyre! I've also been unfortunate enough to catch a Transit pickup's spare wheel under her next Fiesta a day before its MOT - was in heavy traffic on a dual carriage way, wheel with tyre must have come off the top of the load on the Transit, hit kerb missing car in front of me, then it slowly wandered out and lay down flat on my lane just in time for me to pass over it! I thought golly or something a lot worse and prepared for a bit of damage, but all that happened was that I ended up whipping it back up again and off the road out of the way of the next car - how strange was that! Only "damage" on Fiesta was some red paint on the front crossmember, the Transit was stopped a bit further up the road and its passenger was walking back to collect the wheel.

Last edited: