dropping revs

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
occasionally the revs drop to 500 when im slowing down and drop the clutch. I read you needed to deep clean something what was it??

Ive put redex in the petrol made small difference to the car but still got this problem!

Last edited:

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
sweet is that tehe one that everyone seems to say to deep clean?? Is it easy to do??

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
i've been meaning to do it on mine but i've no idea how - do you just spray carb cleaner on the thing or do you have to disassemble it in any way?

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Spray some car cleaner in it just give it a good clean, never heard of deep clean though sorry i cant be anymore help.

Kai if you know how to take it apart on you go, just make sure to align it up properly though.

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
Kai if you know how to take it apart on you go, just make sure to align it up properly though.

i'm got an unshakeable faith in my ability to take things apart, my concerns come with the putting it all back together - tends not to matter in IT if there are a few screws left over :p

I'll stick to just getting the gunk off the outside and spraying it with carb cleaner then - not that mine will start at the moment anyway :p

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Well if you don’t know have no experience taking cars apart putting it together (properly) then don’t try it.

Do as Kai said clean the junk and spray carb cleaner inside it

Whats wrong with yours Kai?

craig87

beeza lover!
Mar 14, 2007
i do have experience in takin them apart lol ill spray carb cleaner dwn it if it dont fix ill take apart thanx

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
Well if you don’t know have no experience taking cars apart putting it together (properly) then don’t try it.

Do as Kai said clean the junk and spray carb cleaner inside it

Whats wrong with yours Kai?

Sheer lazyness and money! - it died after i went away for a long weekend with a hire car, came back and the thing wouldnt start - I think there's a problem with the fuel delivery, its got new leads, plugs dizzy cap an rotor arm and i get a good fat spark.

Next on the list of things to change: fuel filter (its done about 20k now :ban:)
Fuel pump relay and CPS.

Cleaning the TB has been on the list of things to do for a while anyway.

The thing that really annoyed me (and still is) was the AA bloke managed to get her started by swapping out 2 of the plugs and whacking a battery booster on there. I've looked at the plugs and they're fit as fiddles :/

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
Let us know how ya get on,i've got the same prob,redex seems to have improved it n i'm gonna get the garage to clean it when shje goes in...spray carb cleaner,is that a halfords job or a proper car spares place? worth a bash beforehand,don't much fancy taking anything apart!!!:)

gti_kat

Same problem...

Mine has started to do the same thing! :cry: It's gotten so bad now that it even cuts out sometimes if it decides it wants to go below 500revs! Going for a service soon - was kinda hoping that would do the trick...if not, it looks like I'll be cleaning and all!!!

I dunno - I've only just cleaned my MAF sensor! This cleaning lark is a bit of a dose...but if this is as easy it'll be grand! Time to dig out the trusty Haines manual I'd say...lol ;)

Let us know how it goes for ya :)

Mckellar

I recon a good service, clean TB and sensors and that should be sufficient.

Mines is getting a big service because its been lying for a while, still turns over as it always has.

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Let us know how ya get on,i've got the same prob,redex seems to have improved it n i'm gonna get the garage to clean it when shje goes in...spray carb cleaner,is that a halfords job or a proper car spares place? worth a bash beforehand,don't much fancy taking anything apart!!!:)

Im pretty sure that halfords will sell it, it aint hard to spray carb cleaner down it,

just if you are not mechanically minded i wouldnt advise taking it apart.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.