eBay cable and software?

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
£263 vs £12 ????? Are you both MAD ? ;-)
The price does make me feel like I missed out. But waiting 2 weeks for a delivery that then doesn't work and also nearly ruined my laptop trying to install 3 different operating systems and still getting no where was too stressful. I spent days trying to resolve issues.

Added to this I bought one that everyone gave good reviews for and it still didn't work so I was lost as where to buy next, especially when the manufacturer claimed it was working properly.

I didnt want to wait any longer with long delivery times, and my thought process was...It will cost £70 for a garage to plug it in and as I am likely to always now have Vag cars it would only take a few uses to have gained my money back.

The cable will also always be up to date and holds its value should I want to sell it. Most used ones that go up for sale (which is rare) sell for around £200+ so even if I used it and sold it I would probably still save money compared to paying someone.

This is the one I ordered
http://m.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

Last edited:

BigfatPaulie

Sep 18, 2013
Nottingham
Youre missing the point.... ALL the cables are worth £12 - its the dealers who are being scammed.

Ive made interface cables for amateur radio for years... either they work or they dont, the "real" ones are no better... and Ive never had any issues !

The price of the car is irrelevant...

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Th e cable may be worth very little but its the ability to use it that you pay for and so far I've had no success with the £12 copies

easybreeze80

Aug 31, 2014
It's not just the cable you're paying for, it's the software and support. This cheap copy is fraudulent and ripping off the people that make and support the system to help us avoid being conned by dealers!

Why spend £12 waiting weeks for something which is unreliable, a cheap copy and mean you have to struggle to get a hacked version of the software working. As STU3Y said, it just works with no messing around!!

650tr2

Sep 2, 2014
Blackpool
I have a Mk4 Ibiza 1.9 tdi 130 and would like a VAGCOm cable etc. There are many on ebay at different prices. Is there one at the cheap end that is suitable for my car and that actually works? Without paying a fortune to Ross etc, what can a cheap one do?

TIA.

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
I think as per my experience it's pot luck whether or not you get one that works. Also on ensuring you do not connect to the net or update and fry the cable. Plus it makes a big difference apparently that you have the right windows operating system. I am told by suppliers xp is best and vista is sometimes incompatible as I found. I bought one with good reviews and it didn't work so take a gamble. Worst case you lose £10-20, best case you save £240. Just depends what more important money or time and reliability.

Last edited:

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
I had all sorts of problems with my copy like that. So gave up in the end and bought genuine. Very expensive but even paying someone to read it 3 times you would pay the same amount. Plus it will always sell for about 75% of the cost.

nanousis

Feb 10, 2014
the fault message write that "Unable to find a .ROD file for:......"

Knows someone what is this???

kopnyr

Nov 8, 2013
Nitra, Slovakia
It means, that your VCDS installation not found appropriate ROD file. ROD file is the "setting file" for VCDS system. If the system is unable to find ROD file, you cannot work with this module and setting/change parameters of module (e.g. NAV, CLIMA, etc.).

Pls send me your VCDS version and I can send you appropriate file by mail ...

650tr2

Sep 2, 2014
Blackpool
Bought a cheap cable that failed to work. There was no list of suitable laptop operating systems on the ebay ad and my laptop has 7basic which is not suitable for this cable. Neither can this OS allow a virtual version of XP to run. The supplier was helpful but when the reason for the failure became clear, and a negative feedback given he refunded on reciept of the cable. Feedback withdrawn.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
sorry for bringing this old thread back, I have been looking for VCDS, mainly for auto mirror fold and alarm,
would this work for mk3? https://www.amazon.co.uk/VAGCOM-12-...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469135798&sr=8-1&keywords=vcds

or you guys have better and cheaper source of this cable?

how is the software? lots of tweaking can play with?

Probably, although I bought three different cables when got my first Leon mk3 a few years back, worked with varying degrees of success, but in the end I bought the genuine cable, seems expensive, but figured it was small change in relation to the cost of the cars, plus if you don't need it any more they often fetch 80% of what you paid on flea bay.
Anyway that's just my opinion, if you really want a cheap one try aliexpress, I paid about $18 for the last one, took a few weeks to arrive though but did work ok after a fashion

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
sorry for bringing this old thread back, I have been looking for VCDS, mainly for auto mirror fold and alarm,
would this work for mk3? https://www.amazon.co.uk/VAGCOM-12-...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469135798&sr=8-1&keywords=vcds

or you guys have better and cheaper source of this cable?

how is the software? lots of tweaking can play with?

12.12 will only work with cars up to 2012. From what I can remember its not great on the Mk3 platform, try and get one of the 15.7 clones out there which is a lot better. Here a copy of the VCDS revision history so you can see the changes mades over the years: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/revisions.php

FYI using the software/clones is no different to using the genuine tool. Its the same software and does the same thing I nthe same way.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
v12.12.10 works on my 5F for most (if not all) of the common tweaks.

You might as well get v15.7 though as they were both the same price on AliExpress the last time I looked.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise