Eibach Pro Dampers and Springs fitted :)

hugh_

Aug 25, 2007
Kent
My pd130 has done 103k now and the suspension was feeling tired to say the least, and as I've decided to keep it I thought I'd better sort the suspension.

Had a bit of a mission fitting the fronts along with new wishbones, drop links & top mounts yesterday; I didnt manage to start it until gone midday because rowing over-ran, and it was nigh on midnight and exceptionally chilly when I finished... The biggest issue was getting the strut back into the hub which took ages, in part because the Eibachs were 0.4mm larger diameter (which was mostly paint, so I sanded back and have caked liberally in grease). The other slight snagging point is that on the off-side the longer half shaft fouls the chassis before the hub is low enough to remove/insert the damper, I was replacing the wishbones anyway so had to have them off, but it made life complicated.

I did the rears today which were much more straight forward, only took an hour and a half including having a go at changing the beam bushes (and giving up because I was trying to do it on the car).

I've yet to have the alignment done (although my rough piece of string attempts show that the wheels are square, it's just the camber that's out) but it drives SO much better, no more crashing ridiculously over bumps and just much more controlled. Theoretically there's a 25-30mm drop, the front is noticeably lower but the back (which was obviously squatting before) hasnt changed significantly, it maybe slightly lower; anyway I like the look :) I'll get the car washed and some photos taken tomorrow. Also just had a second chance offer on some Cupra split-spoke alloys on the bay, it's been a good weekend :)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Excellent work there, I look forward to the pics! Let me know if you manage to have a second attempt at the beam bushes, I think that's a job I've got in front of me. My mates Tolly had them done before he got the car and it seems so much 'tighter', if that makes sense? Mind you, with fewer miles his dampers would be in better condition as well, so I guess I really ought to look into doing the suspension first!

hugh_

Aug 25, 2007
Kent
Cheers fellas, having the tracking done at the moment. I'm tempted to get a garage to do the rear beam bushes because they looked well stuck.

Damian any news on when you're getting powerflex stuff back in (23mm ARB bushes, dog bone mount and rear beam bushes).

hugh_

Aug 25, 2007
Kent
Had a bit of a mare with the tracking yesterday, at the first place the engineer had taken the tool box home over the weekend so they couldnt do it (but I'd waited half an hour for the bay to become free, then it took them 10 minutes to work out they didnt have the tool box, then 10minutes to get the car out because it was blocked by their van [:@]). The second place eventually got it on the ramps, then said one of the track rod ends was siezed, they could replace them, £55each + an hour a side labour, I declined their generous offer (!) and have got a new pair of TREs for £20 for the motor factors and I'll fit them this evening.

Anyway a picture to be going on with, sitting lower (the springs still seem to be bedding in so may end up a little lower yet). Photos of the suspension when I do the TRE's this evening.

DSC_2482 (Large).JPG

Damian, I'll be in touch later in the month re bushes.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members