Electric Window cable snapped!!

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
Ok so my electric window packed up last night, on the passenger side. As iv tried to put it back up there is a hobbible grinding noise.

So this morning iv had the door card off, which was so easy by the way..not as bad as i thought it would be, and on inspection, after removing the motor assembly, it turns out that the wire inside (behind the metal interior) has snapped off and curled up....so i see this as being the problem...

The question is.....Iv unbolted the inner panel, (10mm nuts) but there are 4 ally rivets holding it on still, so before i go an drill them out, any advice?? Are they important???? and do they need replacing if i do drill them out...

As for the cable thing inside..what is it called so i can order a new one tommorrow, any help would be most appreciated fellas,

Cheers

Matt.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
That would be your window regulator. I had both mine go on the Ibiza which were replaced under warranty, so might be worth getting Seat to fix it if you've still got warranty on yours.

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
Hi Ken, na no warrenty mate, ended in September, unfortunatly, so im out there trying to fix it. I only want the window to stay up, an stop slipping down so i can book it in an drive it about......looking at a lump of wood to do the job at the mo...the cable is mullered....wish id never started it now, bloody impossible, oh an the rivets are important, they hold tyhe inner doorcard to the window guides, so gotta try an put those back in too...Mucho fun for a sunday!!

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
Cheers fella, iv had it with doing this, holding the window up with a lump of wood, and bolted the inner door panel back on, gonna phone my Local stealers tom an get a price on a new window regulator, and then see how much i can get them to do it for as well...what a pain in the ass job, even just to secure the window!!!!Have checked some other threads an it looks like this is a VERY common fault, maybe there is some kind of extended warrenty on these known defective parts, so (unlikly) i may be able to get a discount...

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
that link shows two regulater arms one plastic n crap one cast n good, need the new style one. if your not long out of warranty could try for goodwill from Seat? How's your dealer? sympathetic or just pathetic like my local?

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
Pete,, warrenty finished in Sept, sooo??? I dunno mate, never used them, not had a reason too, the car came from Cheshunt originally before i got it, the nearest one to me is Braintree, Essex, so i suppose i'll give em a go an see how they perform...was actually thinking of taking it to my local VW dealer there so much closer, they should be able to do it??? Same car as the golf, different shell!!!!!

Oh the Guide is excellent, after reading my dad thinks he's up to the task...lol, could be funny!!

Last edited:

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
yeah there on the list of to do's, still gotta order them yet, at least i know what im in for when i do them., :) There rivited in also...bloody Germans build stuff so well...lol...

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
ok for anyone that is interested, the cable had jumped the tensioner behind the motor, so wasnt the the window slider things.......AND I CAN HIGHLY RECCOMEND the guide posted here, bloody accurate and useful...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.