Emmission Control Light / Air Intake Motor

dcegielski

Hi,

New to the boards, and know very little about cars! I had the emmission control light come on during Xmas, but due to an impending service I have let it go for a week or so. I had my service yesterday and asked them to investigate (I know about VAG-COM, but it only cost me £25 for diagnostics). Anyways, the result is my air intake motor (something about EPG) has failed and needs replacing. I was quoted at £245 + labour which is quite a lot considering I've just spend the better part of £300 on a service, 2 new front tyres, and a few other bits and bobs, not to mention Xmas!

Would someone be able to give me a simple and concise explanation to its function, and the effects of not replacing it immediately?

Thanks very much!

Deyna

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Hi,

New to the boards, and know very little about cars! I had the emmission control light come on during Xmas, but due to an impending service I have let it go for a week or so. I had my service yesterday and asked them to investigate (I know about VAG-COM, but it only cost me £25 for diagnostics). Anyways, the result is my air intake motor (something about EPG) has failed and needs replacing. I was quoted at £245 + labour which is quite a lot considering I've just spend the better part of £300 on a service, 2 new front tyres, and a few other bits and bobs, not to mention Xmas!

Would someone be able to give me a simple and concise explanation to its function, and the effects of not replacing it immediately?

Thanks very much!

Deyna
Sure you don't mean EGR Valve, if so try this site - http://www.egrvalve.co.uk/ - it will be cheaper than replacement [ sorry if we have miss read your post!]

dcegielski

Hey,

He definately said motor, but you're right its EGR not EPG! I really despise acronyms!!!

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
EGR will have a motor in it to actuate the "flap" which shuts off at low revs I think? Guess it must be that that has gone.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.