End of my mk4 days

Poverty

The mini's looks are debatable for a male driver however its perfornance is top notch and non debatable. Just waiting on audi to release their mini killer so that I mini drivers can no longer look down on all us other non mini hatchback drivers.

Tallica

Aug 8, 2007
The mini's looks are debatable for a male driver however its perfornance is top notch and non debatable. Just waiting on audi to release their mini killer so that I mini drivers can no longer look down on all us other non mini hatchback drivers.

How on earth can they look down on other drivers? For godsake is anyone in
this Country not taken in by Marketing ploys, Top Gear and the popular press? :cry:

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
Oh no! I feel a RATM style 'fight against the system' rant coming on.........

End of the day, the Mini is supposedly a great car to drive. Whether you like the looks or not, there's no real denying that.
Tallica what exactly is the point you are trying to make?

Tallica

Aug 8, 2007
Oh no! I feel a RATM style 'fight against the system' rant coming on.........

End of the day, the Mini is supposedly a great car to drive. Whether you like the looks or not, there's no real denying that.
Tallica what exactly is the point you are trying to make?

This may be true, but I personally have a problem with BMWs corporate 'raping' of Rover to get their hands on the Mini and to hell with the rest of the company. Also, the way people are taken in by the Marketing and Hype. Resale values are ridiculous and anyone that is prepared to pay three quarters of a cars new price 3 years down the line for a 60,000 mile car, just to be seen in a trendy- read 'common' car is plain silly. Fight against the system it may be, but it is just a personal opinion, something not many people have in this pathetic Country at the moment. [:@]

Gets ready for backlash!

Last edited:

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
I see your point about the cost of the Mini. It is an overpriced car to begin with. But you can argue that about anything.......T-Shirts that cost £100 cos they have Prada written on them, people who won't buy an Octavia, but happily pay more for a Passat.

Why get your knickers in a knot about it......? Let people do what they wanna do and you do what you wanna do. You'd rather spend your money on some new motorbike bits or go and see Metallica at Wembley Stadium (now that was overpriced, and yes, I was there)....then that's your choice. If other people want to 'waste' their money on overpriced cars/booze/women....then that's their choice.

I'd quite happily spend £2k on a new mountain bike........lots of people think I am mad. "It doesn't even have an engine" is the most common , erm, 'amusing' comment. But, they don't get the enjoyment of flying down a Welsh hillside on a clear, sunny day with nothing around you but the great outdoors.......that's my choice.

Now go and put some fresh black nail varnish on and re-do your eyeliner. It's starting to smudge ;)
(PS you could have chosen a better song than Fuel for your sig line.......)

Tallica

Aug 8, 2007
I see your point about the cost of the Mini. It is an overpriced car to begin with. But you can argue that about anything.......T-Shirts that cost £100 cos they have Prada written on them, people who won't buy an Octavia, but happily pay more for a Passat.

Why get your knickers in a knot about it......? Let people do what they wanna do and you do what you wanna do. You'd rather spend your money on some new motorbike bits or go and see Metallica at Wembley Stadium (now that was overpriced, and yes, I was there)....then that's your choice. If other people want to 'waste' their money on overpriced cars/booze/women....then that's their choice.

I'd quite happily spend £2k on a new mountain bike........lots of people think I am mad. "It doesn't even have an engine" is the most common , erm, 'amusing' comment. But, they don't get the enjoyment of flying down a Welsh hillside on a clear, sunny day with nothing around you but the great outdoors.......that's my choice.

p.s. after you have said what song you would have chosen!

Now go and put some fresh black nail varnish on and re-do your eyeliner. It's starting to smudge ;)
(PS you could have chosen a better song than Fuel for your sig line.......)

The Wembley gig was no way overpriced! Try the Foo Fighters at Wembley for that. ;)
My point exactly is that people should make an informed choice, not join the masses because they are told it is the 'thing to do'. I know I may have rattled a few cages with my views, but as you say, they are just that. This is a Forum after all. This thing is likely to go round in circles. Lets leave it there eh? :)

Poverty

The mini is a premium hot hatch, along with the polo, and therefore I dont see why people are so obsessed with its price point, its a premium car, just like a A4, 3 series etc.

Tallica

Aug 8, 2007
The mini is a premium hot hatch, along with the polo, and therefore I dont see why people are so obsessed with its price point, its a premium car, just like a A4, 3 series etc.

Is this another wind up? Premium car? Popular, yes! Have you been within 100 yards of a Mini? :confused:

You despair that people don't have an opinion any more, that they are driving a BMW Mini purely because of their perceived image. What if they do buy into that? So what if they are happy to pay more for the image, to be associated with that?

Some people may like the fact it is a great driver's car with good handling a potent choice of engines.

Just because they drive one doesn't mean they are doing so for the image.

I don't see your point anyway.

Do you have the same rant when anyone buys a Porsche?! You think they have bought that car purely for the image? Forgetting the fact that they are capable cars in their own right...?

Likewise the Mini IMO.

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
Poverty....Erm.........it's an insy-winsy car for not insy-winsy money.
And as standard it comes with bu66a all. To get is stacked with a reasonable amount of options adds tons to the price.
What makes it a premium car? The fact that it is essentially a BMW?? I wonder if it would be seen as a premium car if Rover had survived and built it (to the same spec as it is now).......you can't deny that the BMW 'badge' adds £'s to it.
A standard Mini Cooper is £13k........and the CooperS is £16k!!! Adding alloys and the pack that gives A/C to the normal Cooper takes it to £15k!! HA HA HA! Doing similar things to the CooperS takes it close to Golf GTI/Leon Cupra/Focus ST/Civic TypeR territory. Hmmm, I know what I would have.

Tallica......don't know what line I would use without some thought. Something from before they went all noncy with Load/Reload etc......

Tallica

Aug 8, 2007
You despair that people don't have an opinion any more, that they are driving a BMW Mini purely because of their perceived image. What if they do buy into that? So what if they are happy to pay more for the image, to be associated with that?

Some people may like the fact it is a great driver's car with good handling a potent choice of engines.

Just because they drive one doesn't mean they are doing so for the image.

I don't see your point anyway.

Do you have the same rant when anyone buys a Porsche?! You think they have bought that car purely for the image? Forgetting the fact that they are capable cars in their own right...?

Likewise the Mini IMO.

Porsche and Mini? Er, I don't think you get my point, and I certainly don't get yours! Lets leave it there.

Tallica

Aug 8, 2007
Poverty....Erm.........it's an insy-winsy car for not insy-winsy money.
And as standard it comes with bu66a all. To get is stacked with a reasonable amount of options adds tons to the price.
What makes it a premium car? The fact that it is essentially a BMW?? I wonder if it would be seen as a premium car if Rover had survived and built it (to the same spec as it is now).......you can't deny that the BMW 'badge' adds £'s to it.
A standard Mini Cooper is £13k........and the CooperS is £16k!!! Adding alloys and the pack that gives A/C to the normal Cooper takes it to £15k!! HA HA HA! Doing similar things to the CooperS takes it close to Golf GTI/Leon Cupra/Focus ST/Civic TypeR territory. Hmmm, I know what I would have.

Tallica......don't know what line I would use without some thought. Something from before they went all noncy with Load/Reload etc......

Keefy, Bloody Hell, I agree with all of that! Patronsising? Me? never! ;)
Anyway, I agree, but thought the fuel line was a bit more relevant to an automotive Forum, tis all! Oh, surely you agree that they were pretty damn good at Wembley?

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
This may be true, but I personally have a problem with BMWs corporate 'raping' of Rover to get their hands on the Mini and to hell with the rest of the company. Also, the way people are taken in by the Marketing and Hype. Resale values are ridiculous and anyone that is prepared to pay three quarters of a cars new price 3 years down the line for a 60,000 mile car, just to be seen in a trendy- read 'common' car is plain silly. Fight against the system it may be, but it is just a personal opinion, something not many people have in this pathetic Country at the moment. [:@]

Gets ready for backlash!

Why don't you accept the fact that the mini is a good car in its own right, and stop being so "
obvious" with the mini slating due to it being BMW.

Also you rate the Pug 306 rallye, can you just tell me why EVo mag rated a Mini as the 5th best FWD car in their top 15 FWD cars of all time test back in issue 95. 306 did'nt even make it through to the final 6. Oh and Evo mag and pretty much all the other mags, rate them highly and most have had mini's as staff cars, in fact Evo are on there 4th now:confused:

Ok enough now this is the mk4 ibiza section

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
i get what tallica is trying to say and agree to a degree :hide: but what people spend their money on is there choice.

Poverty

I dont agree at all. Right now the mini cooper s is top dog when it comes to overall performance in the hot hatch world. The car costs alot to buy but then it holds onto its value very very well which most other hot hatches fail at miserably.

The mini is a top quality product and you get what you pay for.

I wonder what people are gonna say when audi start selling 18k audi S1's.

Its like how evo and scooby owners say that bmw's and audi's are overpriced just because for the same money their evo/scooby has a extra 140hp. Doesnt quite work like that does it now boys.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
each to himself

I like the mini a lot but I couldn't live with a centre mounted speedo

this goes back to when I owned my very first mini city 1000 with a speedo in the middle

(I have owned 6 in all one being a 95 BHP john cooper prepaired S works job)

same with the yaris SR, nice car but dodgy speedo position

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise