Engine swap

Daniel Long

Sep 22, 2018
Hi everyone

Abit of a random one here but i have a mk4 seat Ibiza sport 1.4 litre and my friends my 5s engine has given out. How difficult would it be to put the mk4 engine into the MK5?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As a shot in the dark answer, I'd think that it would be quite difficult as the MK5 will have a different 1.4,okay, based on the original 1.4 16V but so many changes meaning that any MK5 with a MK4 era 1.4 16V engine in it would be a mongrel and insurance companies would not like it which would be costly and the emissions would be not too good I'd guess for a MK5's MOT target figures.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
As a shot in the dark answer, I'd think that it would be quite difficult as the MK5 will have a different 1.4,okay, based on the original 1.4 16V but so many changes meaning that any MK5 with a MK4 era 1.4 16V engine in it would be a mongrel and insurance companies would not like it which would be costly and the emissions would be not too good I'd guess for a MK5's MOT target figures.

The BXW code engine was used in both. For a short time though.
From 2006 to 2009 or close to that...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Oh well, maybe a possibility then, I would look up a VW Group parts cat to see if both cars had the same engine p/n listed against them - that is if both these cars currently have the same engine code, like as said BXW.

Edit:- I was thinking that as the older car is a Sports it would have the 100PS version which would be BBZ or similar, so not compatible.