esp traction control light staying on

car-mad

hi newby here i have bought a seat leon 20v turbo 2000 year w reg and was wondering if ne one nos how to fix this problem im havin when i start to drive the car the esp light comes on the dash and hold the car back and the light only switches off when u turn the engine off then back on ne help would be good thank you:lol:

andycupra

status subject to change
ok...
so to clarify, when you start the car and its ticking over but you have not moved yet, is the ESP light on?

If not, when you drive away, how long till it comes on?

When you say it holds the car back? do you mean the car seems to have less power?

There are 2 likely causes, first is an ABS sensor, the second is the maf has failed.

Its unlikely to be the ABS sensor as you also appear to be getting engine performance issues? - So therefore its likely to be the maf.

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
you now will ask what the maf is

the maf may stand for mass air flow.. or something like that.

Its the sensor in the air intake system that measures the air flow, or air volume entering the intake system.
If you look at the airbox that holds the airfilter, conected to this is a plastic pipe with an electrical connection on the back top of it. This is the maf.

If this fails the ESP warning light will come on the dash as you have, many wonder why you get this, but without this data the traction control doesnt work (i think) so in that respect it makes some sense.

You could test and see if the ABS or traction control is working. I suspect the ABS is working but the traction control not. (maf)

If it is the MAF you can replace this yourself, its a very easy job, although it will set you back about £85 on an exchange basis from a dealer. You can get them a little cheaper from GSF and places like this. (and the part number is important as there are variations)

Last edited:

car-mad

no the light is not on when ticking over. only when u drive comes on in minutes and wat is a maf lol and yes the car holds back lack of power

car-mad

right i can get one of those someone did say it could be a airflow meter i work in a scrap yard is a golf gti turbo the same? thanks for your help

ok i can try and sort that out to morro both of the codes have to much else this wont work could i test it by unpluging the air flow metre?

Last edited by a moderator:

andycupra

status subject to change
think ive answered all of your queries above.
the maf on the golf gti is likely to look the same, but id say its unlikely that the part number will match. If it does your lucky. It is important to get the right part number as there are variations. So be careful as the car may appear to run ok on a slightly different maf but not 100%.

Just remember that while im 90% sure this is the issue, i havnt seen the car and i dont know if your ABS works, traction control works.. etc etc

Last edited:

car-mad

think ive answered all of your queries above.
the maf on the golf gti is likely to look the same, but id say its unlikely that the part number will match. If it does your lucky. It is important to get the right part number as there are variations. So be careful as the car may appear to run ok on a slightly different maf but not 100%.

ok thanks alot for your help if not ill get it plugged in to a comp thanks for your help