European reverse light fitted

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
Ive been thinking of doing this for a while but couldnt find any pics of the mod actually been fitted and then I had to wait for it to arrive on back order.
But its arrived now and I think it improves the look of the back end quite a bit and it is more practical to lose the fog light than to lose the reverse light in my opinion.
Just thought id put a couple of pics up for future reference in case anybody else wanted to see it fitted to a car like I did

DSCN2757.jpg

DSCN2761.jpg

techathy

^^ my name, my thought >>
Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
Your problem is at least 1 HI rear light is mandatory & with out it your car isn't considered road worthy! Personally I've gone for HI rears both sides and use white LED reversing lights as it's easier to fine white lights that meet MOT requirements than red HI rear lights.

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
You do have a point, however, I cant remember the last time I actually used my rear fog light whereas reverse is almost daily so im more likely to pick up damage not having reverse than no fog. Come MOT time i'll just put the other unit back in as its a 2 min job.
If I suddenly get caught out in fog, although its the wrong colour, I guess that it will still be visible that
there is something in front for the car behind me. Or ill just throw a clear red led cluster in there...
I thought about some little white LED's but im not sure whether people would actually associate a little line of white leds along the bottom of the window with reverse (sounds obvious but you'd be suprised)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
a flush mounted rear fog mounted central in the lower grey area or below it would solve legality issues

just make sure it's central or to the drivers side

or stick reflectors on your number plates (small bike ones) and have the current reflector holes as fogs :0

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
oooh good idea, does a car need reflectors both sides or just 'a' reflector? because I could just use the drivers side one and make that into a fog light.
Or I could just take it off and save myself the hassle as im selling the car anyway... lol

techathy

Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
You need 2 according to this.

Just a thought - Pug 206 rear fog light mounted in the middle?

Last edited:

techathy

Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
Sorry, should have made that clearer. I was talking about reflectors & ...
1. Check that two red reflectors are fitted to the rear of the vehicle, symmetrically one on each side.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ahh yes and as stated symetrical too sadly, mmm not clear lensed are they at all ?

g8rvn

Apr 7, 2008
Tamworth, Staffs
No they are solid, but I dont suppose it would be too difficult to make some form of red acrylic lens and fit a bulb behind it. It would most likely not be very good, but at least there would be a solid red light in the right place

lc4geoff

FR TDI
Jan 12, 2008
Portadown, N. Ireland
I've been toying with the idea of doing this for a while now, I was going to go the other route though and fit another "Fog light" Does the reversing light have to be white/clear, or can it be red?
Personally I'd rather be without a white/clear reversing light than without a fog light. Having said that, that small PIAA light could look quite nice if it was done right. :shrug:

techathy

Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
Rear reflectors have to be red, some smoking or frosting is acceptable but really it needs to be red all the time. The rear fog can be any colour when off as long as the light emitted is red, which basically narrows you down to red, clear, white & smoked lenses as anything else will tint the light which is emitted.

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
i done this a while back and all i did was put a LED bulb in the fog light. looks clear but shines red!