Exhaust replacement problems

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
well this is a weird situation...my car went in for my exhaust system to be worked on. getting a high flow sports cat and a custom 3" downpipe.

the problem is,aparently i have 2 cats :confused: and its impossible to get at my downpipe as the mad cross platform thingy is in the way,they dont know how to get into it without either cutting up my old downpipe or dismantling the whole suspension set up.........

theyve worked on cupras before but have never seen something like this.

i managed to take a couple of pics but wont be able to upload them til tonight.

is this a familiar story to some of you?any way around it?

Last edited:

MrJohnnyB

Apr 10, 2008
Sudbury, Suffolk
Were the people you took it to retarded? there should be a single cat. A single downpipe meets a single cat whcih then splits after the cat into a twin catback with twin tail pipes? Or am i wrong?

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
thanks for your help.

well i have the milltech backbox but you can see it welded on just before the two alleged cats start. these people are C&C exhausts in hillington. im not too good with this stuff so cant give more info on this,but il put the pics up when i get home from work.

MrJohnnyB

Apr 10, 2008
Sudbury, Suffolk
I'd have a look at the piper development section page 1 shows some pictures. I'd of thought you need a special cat that mates up to the miltek catback. But i presume they're getting confused as to what the cat is as on the LCR system immediately after the cat it splits into two pipes iirc (which i dont normally) which are both 1.5" or something. I'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about will be along shortly :p.

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
Yep two cats on an lcr!!!!
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142042
First pic here shows Piper 3" downpipe splitting to join the cats, I think most companies use a single performance cat as a replacement
and the Piper and Miltek turbo back exhausts both have single cat (second pic on thread)! I think you may need to lower subframe or wiggle
a lot to remove std downpipe but if these people know anything they should have seen S3 or TT 225 since iirc they have very similar exhaust setup!

Last edited:

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
an embarrassing question...what does iirc mean?seen a lot of people say it online.not too good with online mumbo jumbo either!lol

so they would have to lower the subframe for it then?any easy way of getting it out?

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
im getting it done for £420 all in which includes the fitting,downpipe and sports cat...but the only drawback is that theyre stumped when it comes to this...

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Were the people you took it to retarded? there should be a single cat. A single downpipe meets a single cat whcih then splits after the cat into a twin catback with twin tail pipes? Or am i wrong?

You're wrong, completely the other way round ;)

LCR has twin downpipe and small twin cats running in parallel, then merging to single pipe cat-back system. However most aftermarket systems just replace it with one BIG cat.

Supersprint keep the twin cat arrangement and looks like this:
http://www.supersprint.com/ita/SPP20000913502.asp

rrickkyp

The vw gti has only one cat and it passes U.S. standards (which are very strict with emissions), one big cat should work best. It will give less restriction of airflow too (less splits).

leonbeastmk1

I agree, there are two cats on lcr. Having to work on lcr's on a daily basis i could understand how much of a challenge its is. I hav my leon booked in the exact same place faisal for monday. I would trust them completly

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
I agree, there are two cats on lcr. Having to work on lcr's on a daily basis i could understand how much of a challenge its is. I hav my leon booked in the exact same place faisal for monday. I would trust them completly

so YOU'RE the one who they mentioned who took up the spot on monday!!!!lol jk,cheers for the advice.

i think they would do a good job,the only thing that is the problem here is removing the original downpipe.they will create the new one to suite the space.

any crude walkthroughs on how to remove the downpipes as quick as possible?they are contemplating taking the whole engine out or even stripping everything out if they cant get in...

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I don't think you can remove the exhaust as it's in once piece pretty much to the back box. Mine was cut cleanly across and am fairly certain was done without removing subframe or any major parts.
A decent exhaust place shouldn't have an issue :happy:

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Simple solution to me

Seems to me
If you can't figure it out.....you can't work on the car!

Simple as that really. I also occured to me that if they do not know how to get the old one out in one piece, then how will they get the new one in there. If they try and make it up on the car, you are likely to get some shonky welding and a second rate product.

Just a thought

Matt

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
well im only getting the downpipe and cat replaced. the downpipe is the only part causing problems to them

if i go just for the high flow sports cat and a 3" system to the backbox,will it be enough?or does upgrading the downpipe make a big difference too?

leonbeastmk1

Any exhaust company has is problems with cars, but thats doesnt mean they cant do. C+C exhausts have been highly recommended by many seat drivers, and if your not happy with the result am sure they will hav some sort of warranty on it.

Dec 19, 2006
Might sound a silly question but i helped fit a Milltek system to my friends Leon Cupra R and he had a de-cat pipe to go on, so there is two cats on the exhaust which i assume are where the two pipes split? Not another one on the downpipe? Is there any real gains to changing the downpipe on it as i though is was a decent size anyway and it sounds like a big pain to get it changed. Another thing is i had a problem with my down pipe on my LC, because its a bigger size it sits closer to the steering rack and when going around a left hand bend you can hear vibrate slightly against it, i'm not sure its the same on the R but be careful thats all i'll say incase it doesn't fit.

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
yeah id also like to know if the dowpipe will give you big gains,as if it is only a case of 5-10bhp its not going to be worthe the hassle.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.