FAO anyone that has seen the underside of xenon headlight

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Could you please tell me what this connector is, i suspect its to do with auto-levelling?
DSC00108-1.jpg

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Sunny Saltcoats, Scotland
thats where the ballast plugs in. One on each headlamp. Headlamp auto-levelling is a totally different ballgame, the ecu for which is installed behind the glovebox. I've got all the bits for a xenon install, lamps, motors, bulbs and ballasts. I intend to mod them for manual levelling using the rheostat next to the headlamp switch. Thing is normal headlamps have 3 wires on the level motors and the xenon's have 4. Gotta find out the pin assignments first, before proceeding. Auto-levelling would cost about £400-500 to pickup the parts, loom and install yourself. Have a look at this link and see whats involved: furmanka.blogspot.com/

james.milroy

Mar 18, 2007
Sunny Saltcoats, Scotland
Nope, the silver box on the bulb is the igniter. This means that the wires connecting the bulb to the ballast can be lighter gauge. If you look inside the lamp there 'should' be a braided wire with a connector on for the bulb. The other end terminates in that plug on the underside of the housing. Also the wires from the 14pin connector for dipped beam power and ground go into this plug as well, since they are effectively the power for the ballast.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members