Finishing a smoothed airbox

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
CupraTgirl said:
That looks like one of those games where you are blindfolded and you have to put your hand in and pick something out and then guess what it is :lol:

They did one like that on The Crystal Maze where you put you hand into these big gloves and move them around to do the game...ANYWAY :whistle:

LMAO! :lol:

u must be bored at work alex! ;) :whistle:

and year crystal maze was wicked! :yes:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
jetsetjimbo said:
Where did you get that ducting James?

its made by Green

its their heavy duty PVC heat resistant cold air feed. available in many sizes.

the supercopa touring cars use the 80mm size

i got gready and went for the 100mm (4") size!

was about £24 a metre

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
DPJ said:
Do you have that picture without it being fisted? :D

(To see how big the entry hole in the box is).

i had to cut the standard cold air feed hole in the box to make it bigger for the 100mm pipe, but i cut it slightly smaller and forced the pipe into it and then i cut a few slits in the material so i could screw and glue gun the pvc material to the inside of the box so it was air tight! :yes:

53400049.jpg

Last edited:

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
J@mes said:
its made by Green

its their heavy duty PVC heat resistant cold air feed. available in many sizes.

the supercopa touring cars use the 80mm size

i got gready and went for the 100mm (4") size!

was about £24 a metre

I see. Can you point me in the right direction to purchase some? A brief google didn't turn anything up.

Cheers

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
Beware of the Green ducting pictured above (G80TW or G102TW), there's metal banding spiralled through it for reinforcemnt - this WILL rust. I've had two pieces of G80TW ducting rust over the last 18 months, rust flakes aren't really the best thing to be sucked up towards the air filter.
I now use another ducting (APK80), again made by Green but this is aluminium so will not rust.

I found this site to be the cheapest
http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/pages/sbv_pl.asp?Vehicle=UV___01&PartType=AFG28

EDIT - pricing seems to be the same as greenfilters.com, in fact it looks like the same company as the layout is pretty much exact albeit a colour difference.

Last edited:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
jetsetjimbo said:
.... Also, did you find the 100mm much of a pain to fit in? I do have some battery relocation brackets. Do you think there's much gain over the 80mm?

G102TW Heavy duty PVC tubing (1m length) 102mm £21.74

is what i have! (it used to be £24! lol)

and i thought it was 102mm not 100mm! :lol:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
jetsetjimbo said:
.... Also, did you find the 100mm much of a pain to fit in? I do have some battery relocation brackets. Do you think there's much gain over the 80mm?

yes a BIG pain to fit even with the battery relocation brackets! ( i had to trim some of my battery cover so it would fit too! (but u cant see it!)) :)

as for gain over 80mm... tbh i wouldnt know, but i gues so... in theory there is more air "ready" to be sucked up when u let off the throttle and then open the throttle again.

also because of the bend around the battery by having an inch bigger cold air feed then this again may help to deliver cold air quicker!

i dont know! tbh i doubt ud noticed the difference driving your car on either a 80 or 102 mm cold air feed! both are a vast improvement over standard! :yes:

i went for the 102mm as i want to get as much cold air as possible into my airbox! :)

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
Feel - WOW that forum you told me to go on is SO slow! I havent had one reply to my post and that was almost 24 hours ago! Its mental how forums can be so different

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Has anyone got any thoughts of rather than going for a flexi pipe, go for some sort of rigid Aluminium Tubing, and have it fabricated for an exact fit.

I suppose cost is an factor and whether or not it needs to go round the battery for the Copa stylee intake, or just a straight style, similar to the OE set up. At the Gti, Songman just had his intake only slight out of his filter, so there must be some logic in that !

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Empi5 said:
...I suppose cost is an factor and whether or not it needs to go round the battery for the Copa stylee intake, or just a straight style, similar to the OE set up...

phil the standard LCR intake and the supacopa stlye intake are very similar! both go around the battery stylee (but the supacopa battery is in the boot! :lol: )

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
J@mes said:
phil the standard LCR intake and the supacopa stlye intake are very similar! both go around the battery stylee (but the supacopa battery is in the boot! :lol: )

Better get a fair bit of piping then. he HE

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
and its split already.tried that stuff on my old cars,its rubbish(the stuff i had was at lest).not the easiest stuff to remove without breaking,and looks cheap too.

and wtf is the cork for? :p

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise