Finishing a smoothed airbox

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
CupraSteve said:
iv drilled a drainage hole in the bottom of my airbox, found it collected quite a bit from the spray on the roads from cars in front, with the hole it works quite well at keeping it dry

this will also effect the air preassure inside the box and also more heat may get in during traffic!

not sure if these are important factors buddy, but i thought id point them out! ;)

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
NeilC said:
How about something like this? $15 the pair (1 each side?)

mod1-vi.jpg

Them are the babies, where they from u shopaholic u

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
NeilC said:
How about something like this? $15 the pair (1 each side?)

mod1-vi.jpg

I guess it depends how overt phil wants it (and if it can be polished ;))

Got the top of mine finished today. I used my B&D Mouse sander to completely smooth it off... seems like the perfect tool as it's small enough to get it completely inside and it'll do the side walls too!

I bought a TT airbox off a chap on here and it has a cover over the top of the airbox (obviously for a more quality look on the TT ;)) which looks quite nice. That is apart from the fact I scratched it a little while sanding. :cry:

Will post some pics later once the camera has charged.

NeilC

Has left the fold...
Mar 23, 2004
somewhere else
http://www.modshack.info/ttda.htm

Under 'additional flanges'. In the gallery it looks like good old forge (USA division) do a aftermarket vw grille with em already in. Thinking about it, all it is is a 80mm tube welded to a circular plate with a hole in. Dunno how you'd bond it on, prob with whatever you have in the garage!

Maybe worth while having a word with someone who can do s.steel welding to save you postage costs/import duty.

If not i'm considering importing a twin one to run one by the headlight and one down low (they do a 'bling' version ;) ) so i could stick some on my order if you want.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i've been toying with going back to std airbox and reading this thread keeps me thinking....

only real thing from stopping me is the looks of the damn box - so boring! Trying to keep it with the rest of my engine bay...
any ideas? Anyone got anything to liven up the lid of the airbox? Piccies would be good. Ta

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
NeilC said:
http://www.modshack.info/ttda.htm

Under 'additional flanges'. In the gallery it looks like good old forge (USA division) do a aftermarket vw grille with em already in. Thinking about it, all it is is a 80mm tube welded to a circular plate with a hole in. Dunno how you'd bond it on, prob with whatever you have in the garage!

Maybe worth while having a word with someone who can do s.steel welding to save you postage costs/import duty.

If not i'm considering importing a twin one to run one by the headlight and one down low (they do a 'bling' version ;) ) so i could stick some on my order if you want.

cheers neil, im sure we shoul dbe able to source something in the UK, i think Demon Tweeks do something. So are you having two air feeds then

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
pabs i think my modded airbox looks good! :yes:

53400086.jpg

DSC00479.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

53400058.jpg

edit: resized!

Last edited:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Pabs said:
erm, that looks like a standard air box to me mate??? am i missing something?

the 4" cold air feed!!! :doh: ;)

more pics...

smoothedairbox.jpg

53400016.jpg

53400035.jpg

53400049.jpg

53400032.jpg

as you can see its a moddified airbox. and there are good gains to be had... i did before and after logs and got a 3% increase in airflow! :yes:

have a search fella! ;)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Pabs said:
i'm not interested in the cold air feeds - i was talkin about the box itself. lol. nevermind.

well its not a standard box!

was just trying to give u suggestions pabs! ;)

oh yea... did u get my pm earlier?!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
DPJ said:
To be fair, I think Pabs was actually talking about cosmetic improvements to the OUTSIDE of the airbox.

fair enough, but the CAI is completely different and i think it looks good in conjunction with the airbox!

most ppl are like :-o when they see the size of it! :lol:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.