Fitted headunit.. now car wont start?

MadFaz

New(ish)bee
Sep 28, 2008
Bradford
Well its not as simple as that, basically I got my friend (who has fitted these before) to fit a double-DIN Alpine headunit into my Ibiza. I went off to work and he finished about 6pm but he left the interior light on.

I came home at 1am to find the light on, opened it up, it started okay and everything was fine, I was then checking out the new headunit :)

Decided to go for a drive, now my HID's started flashing and wouldn't light up at all or only one would light up then go off. Then I noticed all my warning lamps were illuminated! So I quickly turned it off, left it for a minute or two then decided to start it again...

Won't start :( All the lights go off except for the Oil Pressure/Indicator and the car won't start. I then left it, is this as simple as the oil being too low (although it was normal last week and I haven't driven it since then) or could it be the battery? Or is it something expensive like the immobiliser and electrics :( Would appreciate some advice before I take it to the garage tomorrow! Thanks!

MadFaz

New(ish)bee
Sep 28, 2008
Bradford
I take it from the "tut tut" it doesn't sound too good? lol

I will try those suggestions tomorrow morning! Thanks

MadFaz

New(ish)bee
Sep 28, 2008
Bradford
The update so far: Still wouldn't start but the screen works fine. So I removed it, all the wiring, still the same problem, the car just won't fire up and it seems as all the electrics are going mad.

Used some power leads, now the car started fine! (weak battery?) But after 2 minutes, heard a few beeps, warning lights came on, car locked itself (had to use spare key to get in as I was under bonnet) and steering wheel was locked.

Also... tiny bit of whiteish/blue smoke. This is unheard of on my car, the oil level was fine in the morning before startup, it was however 1C outside, should I expect a little bit of smoke? :shrug: To be safe, I turned it off.

Will probably get it towed to the electrician who deals with all of this on Monday and see what his diagnosis is.

- In other news, I got the headunit wiring checked out and it seems the guy who sold it to me on ebay has messed around with the wires and that could lead to drainage from the battery... not happy about that [:@]

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.