Fitted TIP on LCR - couple of questions

nutter_engineer

Feb 16, 2007
Got round to fit my autobahn88 TIP today. The fitment overall was very good and got on quite well considering I have little experience working on cars. However, on the turbo inlet, the hose wasn't cut perfectly square so there is a small gap on the top side. The hose still goes well onto the turbo but there is a small 3-4mm gap on the top whereas on the bottom side, its bang up agaisnt the turbo. The hose clamp still clamps well round the hose and I can still feel the end of the turbo through hose, so I'm guessing it should be fine?

Also, how hard do you tighten up your hose clamps? I've got a flexi hose clamp driver, and did them hand tight (turbo inlet a bit tighter, just in case). I guess its best not to do them too tight as you may split the hoses?

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
As long as no air can be sucked through gap into turbo you will be ok
Lots of people over tighten jubilees, hand tight is good
These hoses are pretty strong so dont worry about the jubilee cutting through unless you went mad tightening

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
how can you do them hand tight? My test is that i keep doing it till it no longer shifts round and the part cannot be pulled off with medium force.

If your not entirely certain with the fitment of quite an important part i would trim (if necessary) and refit. My forge one came off 4-5 times till it butted straight upto the turbo and the jubiless was bang on centre. Just to check you are doing up the hose to the turbo first fully then attaching the top and other hoses?

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
When i say hand tight i dont actually mean turn the nut with your fingers
He has a flexible nut runner, use this without going mad. So unless you are a very stromg bloke it is very difficult to get over torque them

nutter_engineer

Feb 16, 2007
how can you do them hand tight? My test is that i keep doing it till it no longer shifts round and the part cannot be pulled off with medium force.

If your not entirely certain with the fitment of quite an important part i would trim (if necessary) and refit. My forge one came off 4-5 times till it butted straight upto the turbo and the jubiless was bang on centre. Just to check you are doing up the hose to the turbo first fully then attaching the top and other hoses?

yeah I did the turbo inlet first and then worked my way through the other hoses. I did try getting it perfectly butting up a few times but no good. The turbo does go into the hose by at least 1.5inches so I thought it'll be ok. Dont really want to go trimming the hose as knowing me I'll make a mess of it. It drives fine though. You can hear the turbo noise so much better now :D