Fitting Rear Brake Discs.

tol16v

Hi,
I'm gonig to fitting some rear discs to my V5 170 toledo next week, would like some help on how to fit them. I have looked on the forum but unable to find any post. Anyhelp would be Greatfull.

:confused::confused::confused:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
It's not an easy job, but its far easier than other rear discs I've worked on. The main problem is pushing back the brake pistons, I just don't see how you can do it without the proper tool to wind them back in. There was mention of people using a pair of pliers with mixed success, but for the sake of £21 get yourself to Halfords and get the tool.;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_214227_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Once you have that, here are the steps;

1. Undo the bolts holding the caliper on.
2. Undo the bolts holding the caliper bracket on.
3. Undo the disc retaining screw.
4. Swap the discs over.
5. Remove the pad retaining spring and pads.
6. Wind back the piston.
7. Fit the new pads and retaining spring.
8. Fit the caliper bracket.
9. Fit the caliper.
10. Operate the brake a few times to get the piston in place.
11. Check the handbrake.
12. Repeat on the other wheel.

I'm assuming you have replacement pads as well as discs? You don't want to leave old pads on new discs.

I think it took me half an hour per wheel for the rears, twenty minutes of which was getting the pistons rewound. The fronts were exactly the same as virtually any other car, and they were about fifteen minutes each.

Last edited:

tol16v

Hi I do have a winding tool for the pistons and new discs and pads to go on, cheers for the info.

:D:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
There you go then! Just remember to get the four pack of beers in the fridge the day before, for the celebratory sip on a job well done! :D

tol16v

HI all done took just over an hour, no beer though working nights job well done. Cheers

:):):):):):)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Is there ever an issue with the Pad wear sensors? Sure I've read this before a few times.

There aren't any for the rears?:think:

When I did the fronts, one pad each side had a wear sensor built in, and I had to be careful to route the lead out the back of the caliper. But it wasn't an issue?

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
There aren't any for the rears?:think:

When I did the fronts, one pad each side had a wear sensor built in, and I had to be careful to route the lead out the back of the caliper. But it wasn't an issue?

Ah so the sensors are only on the front, must have been what I was thinking of - cheers!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.