Formentor System Errors

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
Hey guys!

I'm due to pick up my VZ2 310 tomorrow from my local Cupra dealership. Its a late 2020 build.

Clearly there have been substantial issues with the system/interface since launch, but I don't see any comments over the past six months.

Would any veterans be able to let me know whether the software issues have been largely resolved now? And is there any advice you'd give a novice such as me when I go to pick it up tomorrow? I have a two year warranty with it, but am keen to do what I can to mitigate hassle down the line!

A million thanks in advance!

John
Hi John,

Be wary of any issues, I'm still awaiting resolution to my infotainment issues from the 'upgrade' last November - see thread for more details

If you do have a good one, you'll enjoy, but if, like me, you have one of the early builds with incompatible upgrades, you're in for a rough ride and I'd suggest you hand back if you experience any issues. Hope you do have a sound unit, I can't fault the engineering and the 'mechanical' driving experience, just can't trust the software.

By the way, Cupra Technical are appalling, they keep going over old ground and still haven't resolved the issues after nearly 7 months, so you'll need every day of your 2 year warranty if you do hit problems!!

Good luck and hopefully you enjoy trouble free Cupra motoring.

Greg

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
Hi John,

Be wary of any issues, I'm still awaiting resolution to my infotainment issues from the 'upgrade' last November - see thread for more details

If you do have a good one, you'll enjoy, but if, like me, you have one of the early builds with incompatible upgrades, you're in for a rough ride and I'd suggest you hand back if you experience any issues. Hope you do have a sound unit, I can't fault the engineering and the 'mechanical' driving experience, just can't trust the software.

By the way, Cupra Technical are appalling, they keep going over old ground and still haven't resolved the issues after nearly 7 months, so you'll need every day of your 2 year warranty if you do hit problems!!

Greg
I second this, curoa are useless.

All this stuff people were promised, excellent bespoke service from dealers, only be in cupra courtesy cars etc.

They can't even give us new engine covers ffs!!

May 24, 2023
Hi John,

Greg
Thanks for the detailed reply Greg. Much appreciated.

Assuming my build is early like yours (the car was registered in December 2020), would you be so kind as to tell me what kind of bugs I should be looking out for within my 14 day return period? The full-on system crashes seem like a big red flag, but are there any other particular issues I should be paying close attention to which are particularly indicative of a dodgy system, in your experience?

I'm just conscious that 14 days isn't long, really, so I want to get as good a feel for the software as possible in that time.

Thanks so much.

Gregums

Jan 9, 2021
Thanks for the detailed reply Greg. Much appreciated.

Assuming my build is early like yours (the car was registered in December 2020), would you be so kind as to tell me what kind of bugs I should be looking out for within my 14 day return period? The full-on system crashes seem like a big red flag, but are there any other particular issues I should be paying close attention to which are particularly indicative of a dodgy system, in your experience?

I'm just conscious that 14 days isn't long, really, so I want to get as good a feel for the software as possible in that time.

Thanks so much.
Make sure you get your Cupra ID set up at the Dealer before you leave and your profile logged on, as this holds many of the memory settings that you will set over the first few weeks as you get used to all the possible combinations, plus it allows settings to be associated with each key (if there are two of you driving the car regularly). After that, watch for odd alarms, sensors not being available and then fixing themselves, switching between kmh and mph on the dynamic sign display, plus any warning lights, however temporary. Be aware of issues with keyless access not responding, or central locking not doing what you expect, this can sometimes be low temperatures messing with the sensor, but in better weather, could be software glitches. You may also experience the 'popping' of the central speaker, followed by a claimed 'SOS alarm' trigger which doesn't dial out, you may, or may not then lose SatNav in the central display, this was the main issue experienced prior to the 'upgrade' that should 'fix all' and in reality fixed 'eff all'!!

Other threads will give details of how to check the software and hardware numbers, plus some other 'interesting' issues experienced, which I didn't (e.g. active cruise control switching to LHD and not allowing you to overtake on the right!). Check out the threads to know what to look out for and any issues, get it back to the dealer.

Cupra Customer Services told me that 'Forums [like this] are just full of a noisy minority', which I guess includes me, but I found the Forum a great source of reassurance with initial issues, as the over-the-air updates started to resolve things, its the latest system upgrade via recall that everything went really, very badly wrong.

Hope this helps and you don't see any of these symptoms.

May 24, 2023
Make sure you get your Cupra ID set up at the Dealer before you leave and your profile logged on, as this holds many of the memory settings that you will set over the first few weeks as you get used to all the possible combinations, plus it allows settings to be associated with each key (if there are two of you driving the car regularly). After that, watch for odd alarms, sensors not being available and then fixing themselves, switching between kmh and mph on the dynamic sign display, plus any warning lights, however temporary. Be aware of issues with keyless access not responding, or central locking not doing what you expect, this can sometimes be low temperatures messing with the sensor, but in better weather, could be software glitches. You may also experience the 'popping' of the central speaker, followed by a claimed 'SOS alarm' trigger which doesn't dial out, you may, or may not then lose SatNav in the central display, this was the main issue experienced prior to the 'upgrade' that should 'fix all' and in reality fixed 'eff all'!!

Other threads will give details of how to check the software and hardware numbers, plus some other 'interesting' issues experienced, which I didn't (e.g. active cruise control switching to LHD and not allowing you to overtake on the right!). Check out the threads to know what to look out for and any issues, get it back to the dealer.

Cupra Customer Services told me that 'Forums [like this] are just full of a noisy minority', which I guess includes me, but I found the Forum a great source of reassurance with initial issues, as the over-the-air updates started to resolve things, its the latest system upgrade via recall that everything went really, very badly wrong.

Hope this helps and you don't see any of these symptoms.
Thanks a lot Greg. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for all of these when I go in to pick it up and over the following weeks.

Really takes the fun out of buying a new car, doesn't it!!

Fingers crossed all will be OK. First trip will be five hours up to the Lake District, so it could be a long old drive!!

May 24, 2023
I actually joined this forum to discuss the issues I've been having with my 2020 Formentor VZ2 lately, interesting to see other people still having issues.

So I've had constant minor issues throughout the 16 months I've owned it, but in the last week, they seem to have intensified. I'm getting constant (as in every 30 seconds) error message pings for "Travel Assist Unavailable" and "Emergency Assist Unavailable". Every 30 seconds... Ping Ping... Ping Ping... Ping Ping...

Tonight, while leaving work, I got a "Drive System Error" and the car lost power, possibly going into limp mode. This was extremely alarming on a busy roundabout at rush hour. I had to pull over, turn the car off and start it back up and it was ok after that.

I will book the car into the dealer, but having already had it in for a software update (and the engine cover removal) but these issues still occurring, I have little faith in these issues actually getting fixed.

It's a shame, when it works I genuinely love the car. It's a great car to drive, fast, comfortable and fun. Just a shame these constant issues are ruining my owner experience. I think it's time to move on from Cupra.

MarauderMaisy

Jun 20, 2021
I actually joined this forum to discuss the issues I've been having with my 2020 Formentor VZ2 lately, interesting to see other people still having issues.

So I've had constant minor issues throughout the 16 months I've owned it, but in the last week, they seem to have intensified. I'm getting constant (as in every 30 seconds) error message pings for "Travel Assist Unavailable" and "Emergency Assist Unavailable". Every 30 seconds... Ping Ping... Ping Ping... Ping Ping...

Tonight, while leaving work, I got a "Drive System Error" and the car lost power, possibly going into limp mode. This was extremely alarming on a busy roundabout at rush hour. I had to pull over, turn the car off and start it back up and it was ok after that.

I will book the car into the dealer, but having already had it in for a software update (and the engine cover removal) but these issues still occurring, I have little faith in these issues actually getting fixed.

It's a shame, when it works I genuinely love the car. It's a great car to drive, fast, comfortable and fun. Just a shame these constant issues are ruining my owner experience. I think it's time to move on from Cupra.
This is uncanny.... I've also been having issues with Infotainment crashes/reboots, Drive Profiles, ACC issues and the likes. And then, I was travelling down the M40 yesterday (after a holiday up in Birmingham) and after a break at the services, re-joined the motorway and almost immediately lost power and got a "Warning: Engine needs to run for longer" message immediately before it was followed by a "Drive System Error: Visit workshop" message on the dash and an intermittent amber engine light. The car also started to "shudder". Found somewhere safe to stop, called CUPRA Roadside who sent the AA out to come take a look.

Keep in mind that I've been to a main dealer twice who have been completely unable to pull any fault codes from the computer nor re-produce any of my issues, the AA Roadside guy pulled 8 codes immediately:
  • P2BC100: Coolant pump, charge-air cooler. Component blocked.
  • U122900: Front camera. Detection faulty.
  • U105400: Information electronics control unit 1. No communication.
  • P030100: Combustion failures detected in the component <Cylinder 1>.
  • P030300: Combustion failures detected in the component <Cylinder 3>.
  • P030400: Combustion failures detected in the component <Cylinder 4>.
  • P036300: Combustion failure detected. No injection.
  • P030000: Combustion failure detected.
The technician cleared the codes, took the car for a test run. Seemed fine for a bit. Then turned on Regen/Recharge and gave it another run and the car almost immediately began to misbehave again - as soon as you taxed the engine the car started to "shudder" again and started to lose power. Codes P030300, P030400 and P030000 returned. As the car was still driveable, I was advised to try and get it back home while keeping revs low and not driving faster than 60MPH.

Just over a year, only 7,000 miles on the clock, couple of months after a service, and the engine might be knackered. I've got the dealer trying to squeeze me in next week and waiting to hear if Customer Care can get me a courtesy vehicle in the meantime. This car has been nothing but trouble.

Oct 30, 2022
Hey guys!

I'm due to pick up my VZ2 310 tomorrow from my local Cupra dealership. Its a late 2020 build.

Clearly there have been substantial issues with the system/interface since launch, but I don't see any comments over the past six months.

Would any veterans be able to let me know whether the software issues have been largely resolved now? And is there any advice you'd give a novice such as me when I go to pick it up tomorrow? I have a two year warranty with it, but am keen to do what I can to mitigate hassle down the line!

A million thanks in advance!

John
My VZ3 310 was updated in march and icons have been trimmed down but the screen resolution has improved. Only issue now is on around 1 in 3 journeys about a minute after start up, the radio mutes, then a few seconds later the screen goes off and the system re-boots. This happened twice yesterday (one 5 Minutes after the other) whilst driving.
I know not technically this forum but my wife has a CUPRA Leon VZ2 (brand new 3weeks ago) and that has the same issue.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
My VZ3 310 was updated in march and icons have been trimmed down but the screen resolution has improved. Only issue now is on around 1 in 3 journeys about a minute after start up, the radio mutes, then a few seconds later the screen goes off and the system re-boots. This happened twice yesterday (one 5 Minutes after the other) whilst driving.
I know not technically this forum but my wife has a CUPRA Leon VZ2 (brand new 3weeks ago) and that has the same issue.
The mk8 Golf also has the black screen and rebooting issue.

Reactions: Tell

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018
It been doing that on mine last couple of days and no internet connection so android auto is in dumb mode. No streaming, no traffic data no what's app.

Still only 9 long months to go until my lease ends

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
This is uncanny.... I've also been having issues with Infotainment crashes/reboots, Drive Profiles, ACC issues and the likes. And then, I was travelling down the M40 yesterday (after a holiday up in Birmingham) and after a break at the services, re-joined the motorway and almost immediately lost power and got a "Warning: Engine needs to run for longer" message immediately before it was followed by a "Drive System Error: Visit workshop" message on the dash and an intermittent amber engine light. The car also started to "shudder". Found somewhere safe to stop, called CUPRA Roadside who sent the AA out to come take a look.

Keep in mind that I've been to a main dealer twice who have been completely unable to pull any fault codes from the computer nor re-produce any of my issues, the AA Roadside guy pulled 8 codes immediately:
  • P2BC100: Coolant pump, charge-air cooler. Component blocked.
  • U122900: Front camera. Detection faulty.
  • U105400: Information electronics control unit 1. No communication.
  • P030100: Combustion failures detected in the component <Cylinder 1>.
  • P030300: Combustion failures detected in the component <Cylinder 3>.
  • P030400: Combustion failures detected in the component <Cylinder 4>.
  • P036300: Combustion failure detected. No injection.
  • P030000: Combustion failure detected.
The technician cleared the codes, took the car for a test run. Seemed fine for a bit. Then turned on Regen/Recharge and gave it another run and the car almost immediately began to misbehave again - as soon as you taxed the engine the car started to "shudder" again and started to lose power. Codes P030300, P030400 and P030000 returned. As the car was still driveable, I was advised to try and get it back home while keeping revs low and not driving faster than 60MPH.

Just over a year, only 7,000 miles on the clock, couple of months after a service, and the engine might be knackered. I've got the dealer trying to squeeze me in next week and waiting to hear if Customer Care can get me a courtesy vehicle in the meantime. This car has been nothing but trouble.
Mine is in currently for a Gearbox Error and clunking suspension. Dealer came back to me today to say it needs a new gearbox oil pump

Thank god it's still under warranty

MarauderMaisy

Jun 20, 2021
Mine is in currently for a Gearbox Error and clunking suspension. Dealer came back to me today to say it needs a new gearbox oil pump

Thank god it's still under warranty
So after some new ignition coils (which didn't fix it) and replacement fuel injectors, the car seems to be running again. Still getting the infotainment crashes/reboots, which is to be expected until I can maybe get the 1940 update.

Mark_86

Sep 25, 2021

Hi mate, did you get an answer on this one. Mine has been into the dealer FOUR times and various "promised" software updates have failed to fix it. They are unable to "replace" components because they can't get a fault code. It's ridiculous and borderline dangerous driving a car in that state. I even had to get my wife to record it from the passenger seat and send it to them to prove what was going on...

spezwend

Jun 23, 2023
I have exact same issue. Did you managed to get it sorted out and fixed?
Actually no. It seemed as battery issue but no, I think it's Kessy problem or ECU firmware issue. I have major firmware updates planned next week at the dealer. I hope it will sort things out. Friend of a friend had similar issues and they got it fixed. So go to the dealer and tell them the story.

edit: 2 weeks and 0 issues so far, they updated infotainment and BCM firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell
Oct 14, 2023
Actually no. It seemed as battery issue but no, I think it's Kessy problem or ECU firmware issue. I have major firmware updates planned next week at the dealer. I hope it will sort things out. Friend of a friend had similar issues and they got it fixed. So go to the dealer and tell them the story.

edit: 2 weeks and 0 issues so far, they updated infotainment and BCM firmware.
Hi. I've had exactly the same issue just an hour ago. All errors are gone after a half of hour. Can the firmwares be updated only via dealer?