Front brakes on Lcr

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Agreed on the track at Donnington my discs were warped and vibrating like hell after a few decent laps.

I would however recommend an alternative pad;-
Performance Friction is the make and it's their Carbon Metallic pads, no extra scoring on standard discs and much improved bite and feel, they are excellent on track.

There is a significant increase in brake dust though

my discs have not warped and i have been at brands and lydden! no vibration either!

lydden was a lot more aggressive on the car/brakes i found and as a result i ended up getting brake fade. tho once left for a while it was fine!

im on OE discs with galpher 1045 road pads

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
my discs have not warped and i have been at brands and lydden! no vibration either!

lydden was a lot more aggressive on the car/brakes i found and as a result i ended up getting brake fade. tho once left for a while it was fine!

im on OE discs with galpher 1045 road pads

I ran Carbon Metallic pads which ran the discs very hot but they would be great with a 2 piece set up and were great with the OEM discs on the road. Discs did warp / vibrate and judder but once cool they were fine again.

Plus somebody fitted brand new pads to their car the day before the track day which is never a good ides :rolleyes: :whistle:

quattroman

Sep 26, 2003
Devon
Visit site
Message sent to Leda regarding 1055 pads

James and anyone else using Galfer 1055 spec pads,
I sent an e-mail to Beverly at Leda regarding the problems with the pads and havnt had a reply.
sent on 3-10-2006

"Hi there Bev,
Just wanted to inform you that I am getting some very bad feedback from some of my previous customers regarding very bad wear on their Seat Leon Cupra R discs.
These are the OE supplied discs as fitted from new by Seat.These people have all been supplied the Galfer 1055 pads and it has just come to light that a lot of people are not happy with this pad as they are causing major scoring on their discs.
I have personally just had my 2-piece extreme kit fitted and instead of using the Galfer 1065's (which I believe are too harsh for road use) I have had a set of Galfer 1055's fitted -and the same thing is happening to me -I am experienceing heavy scoring in less than 3500 miles.

At first I put this down to road grit or something got onto the pads -but I know believe this not to be the case as I have seen other peoples discs who are using this Galfer 1055 pad and its not a pretty site.
I will supply photos of my discs when available, but attached is a photo from a non happy customer who I supplied and once word gets round, I assure you there will be others- there are five people so far who have now come back to me.

What I need to know is this:-

1) Is there, or was there a manufacturing problem with the 1055 pads during the time I purchased them ( as there was a long delay on these being shipped from Spain -not the case with 1045s)

2) Is there a compatability issue here, with regards to the properties of the Leon Cupra R (dia 323mm x 28mm thk)discs and the Galfer 1055 Pads.

3) Is this normal wear for the pleasure of using Galfer 1055 pads.

I would certainly say that I have never seen grooving / scoring like this on on the discs using the standard Galfer /Brembo pads as supplied by Seat.

I think Galfer Spain need to be made aware of this developing situation,as they are happy to list there 1055 pads for suitable fitment to the Leon Cupra R.
(I am using the Extreme 2-piece discs and Galfer 1055 pads and I am getting heavy scoring/ grooving so there is no compatability issue there.)

I have one set of Galfer 1055 pads left from the original batch and should the need arise these could be independantly inspected and tested to varify the compound makeup
"

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Refurbished discs!!!

quattroman ... im running 1045s! not 55s! ;)

so thats even worse as the 45 compound should be softer... i would expect the 55s to be more abrasive and being "fast road" they may use this as an excuse... but can they with the standard spec 45s?! :blink:

another note to note.... today i fitted new pads and and discs to my bros car.

well i say new discs... the discs were very corroded and scored a bit... they looked like they had come off a car that had been in a scrap yard for about 5 years... they are the original discs (4.5 years old) and i measured them at just over 19mm thick.

toyota say these discs are 22mm thick new and minimum they can be is 16mm.

anyways rather than paying £110 for new discs (from my local cheap trade car place!) they recommend i went to Emsleigh Engineering and had them put on a lathe and had the surface skimmed so it was like new!

well i had this done today and it cost £12 + VAT for each 255mm disc (£28.20 all in)

Peter the guy who did it measured them at 19mm thick each, meaning they are half way through their life span! iv just fitted them with new pads and wat a difference! :yes:

so the whole point of the above essay is that if we dont get anywhere with galpher then we could do the above to save the cost of new discs!

this is assuming our discs are still thick enough (wats the min thickness it can be?! :shrug: ) to do this, otherwise it may not be cost effective/possible!

also like i said in a post above for about £50 i can get my discs grooved, so therefore i may do that.... resurface my discs and get them grooved for about £80.

then again i assume the guy who did matts (smoothUK) can also resurface them on a lathe if he can grove them!

over and out! :)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
you dont have that margin on 323 disks... 28 as new and 26mm is minimum spec thickness

oh no! :(

ok then... by feb time (which is when i expect* the need for new pads/discs) it would only be worth while getting my discs resurfaced if they had 27mm left in them.

meaning i personally would have lost 1mm in 2 years

i guess il have to simply wait and see!!!

thanks for the info tho bill! ;)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
I've had the 1045, 1055 & 1065

1045 are poor to be honest! 1055 i recon are same spec as the standard brembo pad galfer do! 1065s are very grippy but have warped my disks! :(

i have the 1045s on at the mo... i would agree they are not as good as OE ones, but still not too bad!

next i will more than likely go for the £110 feredo 2500 fast road ones, or i will look into what other cheaper options there are out there, such as 1055s or mintex pads (about £50 i think) but will search for reviews on both or watever else i look at!

kwan88

Jan 18, 2003
Slough
Visit site
I also fitted the 1045 to me CupraR and from what was a nice clean disk, now has two light grovees, on either side! I drive really slow and have only done about 1500 miles since the pad change.

I also dislike the noise that the capliers make due to the metal pad which are on the orginal pads but not on the 1045 ones!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
i used copper grease! no noise whatsoever... infact the 1045s are quieter than the OE ones which used to squeak every now and then, think when it had rained from memory.

and if u have only done 1500 miles with them... expect a lot more grooves! :(

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
i know the noise u mean sie but mine used to squeek on the odd occation too!

i allways put copper grease on the back of pads! :)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
My fast road pads squeal under light breaking, it horrible!

u said it was horrible at first sie... is it? :shrug:

is it enough to make you think that fast road pads are not worth it?!

did ur 1045 and 1055 squeak? (my 45s dont!)

have u got copper grease in them?! (worth a try! ;))

sorry for all the qu's! :redface:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
i remember having squeaky brakes at one point on my old car... got all the looks in town but then u could hear the brakes! :redface: :lol:

you know how easy it is to take the pads out sie... will take you about 30mins all in to grease up all the pads and put the car back on the floor! ;)

deffinately worth it! :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.