general turbo conversion question

vngtx

im wondering if making a 2.0 8v turbo will work in regards to the ecu. will i be able to run it after installing the turbo without remapping the ECU?(will it adjust to make it drivable?) ive got it all planned out; big injectors, T3 turbo and downpipe, oil feed from or to oil cooler to oil filter plate, genuine made spacer head gasket, turbo fuel pump, FMIC and maybe a ported and polished head.

ive heard you can use a G60 ecu instead of a standard 2.0 8v one. but im still unsure of how to get it to work.

jamiebennett81

It won't come cheap and after all that money and time spent still won't be as quick as a remapped cupra.....

vngtx

i know but its just for the fun of making it. im only aiming for g60 power.

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
A g60 is what, 160 bhp?

Why not just buy a 16V ABF Ibiza (150bhp) and sort out the intake, exhaust and maybe a set of cams? Would see you approaching G60 power for a lot less fuss and a lot less cost.....

"Never build what you can buy"

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
It won't work IIRC the 8v isn't even MAP sensored, so it just won't be right.

Better off megasquirting it.

vngtx

because ive got a messed up wiring loom thats connected to a very expensive immobiliser. even if i bought a 16v turbo engine id still put a turbo on that. i just want some boost :D

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I think you will struggle and fail to make the oe ecu cope..
think standalone ecu and much more options for you then

vngtx

ok im now abandoning the turbo conversion. would the vr6 24 valve fit with it being obd2? i just happen to have a siezed up complete one for spares. got wiring, intake, throttle, cam cover, pipe work and few other bits off it.

vngtx

on car :( replaced engine and they let me have the old one. new one came complete so got most of the ancilleries.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Next to useless really then.

You need a complete wiring loom, ECU & immobilser if you want to fit a new engine without going down the aftermarket ECU route.

vngtx

ive seen a few complete engine conversion kits for sale with complete engine,box,wiring, and ecu on ebay for 5-600. i might polish the bits ive got at the moment and sell them on. cant have a vr6 without polished intake manifold :)