Good start to 2007 - New Windscreen + now pollen Filter leak + MORE

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Excellent start to 2007....

I've now got the dreaded pollen filter water leak. :censored:

I can only assume this has come about since having a new windscreen fitted about 1-2weeks ago.

I'm not going to really blame the fitter himself - that damn rubber cover thing is the worst design i've seen.... why someone with a braincell couldn't have designed it i don't know.....

Anyway. I've got 6-8 sponges on the carpet at the moment, the mat is in my sink draining out.

I've taken out the filter, its knackered but i'll have to keep it in until i get a new one. I think i've fitted the rubber thing back in right, but i guess the next rainfall will confirm...

But i think i have a bigger problem....

Now all my fans, no matter what they are set to, only allow the bottom footwell fans to work. CC adjusted to windscreen, face vents etc... nothing. The bottom ones keep blowing the air.

Has anyone else come across this? Is something blown, or stuck somewhere?
Please help, as i fear my 60mile drives to work over the next week could be hindered by misted up windows until i get it sorted......

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ok - i stand corrected - NO AIR IS COMING OUT OF ANY FANS.

I can hear the air, somewhere in the dash, but nothing is coming out of any of the vents, footwell or otherwise :(

Last edited:

paullec

Nov 15, 2006
Birmingham
Dont know but can the water leak short out any wires that can cause it. Oh well your not the only one my temp gauge is throwing a wobbler now :(

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Just a suggestion but could it just be a case of water getting into the air direction mechanicals and causing a short of some description ? All the direction pieces must be electrically controlled and if water is getting in it may have run along wires etc.

Sorry if this is all a bit obvious to you matey - having seen your web site you probably know all this already but you never know eh!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
its ok folks - i've sorted it now!

I've just popped down to halfrauds, and purchased a "generic" cabin/pollen filter. Nowhere near as good as the SEAT one, but it'll do. For now.

When i took it out i noticed it had a LOT of **** in - probably to do with the fact where i park is very close, if not under tree's. I removed the filter, and underneath it is a mechanism/flap thing that was jammed down - i pulled it back upwards, and tried the fans with no filter in, and it worked :)

I would assume that this flap/mechanism thing is to stop outside air coming in and just re-circulate the air in the cabin - there is a button on the CC controls for this, so perhaps it controls this flap?

Anyway, new filter in, all reconstructed the way i THINK it should be, and all now working fine.

Spent the last 20mins mopping out the carpet, and mat is on a radiator in the house now.

So - success! Thanks for the help peeps, any suggestions are good - just glad i got there in the end!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i obviously WOULD do this, but seeing as its started to p*ss down again I'm going to see whether it leaks again or not.

I did get it mostly dry before the rain came, so i'm hoping i don't have any more problems.

I've got 6 sponge things sitting on the floor in there, and i'll take another look tomorrow on my way to work, and when i'm at work as well.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members