GUIDE: Retro fitting OEM Satnav MFD2/MFD3

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Plug & play depends entirely on how the unit was coded to the car it came out of. If the car you're fitting it into has the same options and configuration as the unit is coded for then it won't need coding. If you have a different set of options to the old car then it will still work, but some functions will not.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The seller (if he's got the means) can code it ready for you if you tell him what options your car has. He can't read your mind and code it ready if he doesn't know what the coding needs to be though.

Like if it came out of a Mk6 Golf it will be coded for BAP protocol and putting it into a Mk5 would mean things wouldn't work on the steering wheel controls and the dash display. For example, if the car it came from didn't have Bluetooth and yours does, then the Bluertooth won't work because the head unit won't talk to it. Each options list needs to be set up in the RNS coding for everything to work properly. And you still need to enable Navigation in the CAN options list to stop it flagging an error, even though it might work.

Last edited:

Northy 8

Oct 14, 2014
notts
Thanks for all the replies
Going to get it fitted sat and hope is well
Can get a vag com lead Sunday is that ok to re set codes etc a day later
Cheers

Marky N

Jul 15, 2014
London
alternative to factory sat navs

guys I can have brand new MFD3 with code and antena, maps are inside for 700 pounds, who whants one write me a email ( [email protected] )
what about a non factory type. I am toying with the idea of an android one. I think i saw ones on Ebay that preserve the steering wheel controls as well. Has anyone tried to install a non factory sat nav that works with the steering controls?

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
Marky, there are a few threads covering aftermarket head units and steering wheel controls, but essentially, it's down to the individual unit in terms of what it will and won't support. My Zenec, for example, won't support the up and down steering wheel controls. It's a case of checking the specification and also, if you have to buy an adaptor for the controls, checking what that also supports; there isn't really a "one size fits all" answer I'm afraid.

R.

leontsibob

Feb 6, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Hi does anyone know if where you can get the nav codes from, iv just brought a seat mdf2 sat nav and when I installed it, it says I need the code, the previous owner lost it, I hope someone can help me

Marky N

Jul 15, 2014
London
Marky, there are a few threads covering aftermarket head units and steering wheel controls, but essentially, it's down to the individual unit in terms of what it will and won't support. My Zenec, for example, won't support the up and down steering wheel controls. It's a case of checking the specification and also, if you have to buy an adaptor for the controls, checking what that also supports; there isn't really a "one size fits all" answer I'm afraid.

R.
Thanks ritch for the info. I think I will stick to my existing sat nav and get the most recent upgrade it can take. I don't suppose you know. Mine is a 2010 Cupra. The thought of going through all the Hassel of buying, installing and then not being entirely happy makes the task not with undertaking. Especially as mine works. I just don't have an SD card.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Marky N

Jul 15, 2014
London
I've had a quick search but can't find anything really on it. I'm all on for OEM original stuff but the cheaper copies seem to look pretty decent that you can get off ebay. Sat nav included, says it supports steering controls, plug and play by the looks.

Interesting Adam. The thing is would you loose some features like when you turn your climate control on and it illustrates it on the GPS unit and other functions. In an ideal world. I would love a cheap Android head unit that does all that the original does with all perks of being an Android unit. It would be so bloody cool. These are found in some new high end cars I hear

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
For what iits worth I planted an A-Sure in car DVD/CD/Radio Sat Nav with USB and SD card connection in my Seat Freetrack 2013. I bought it off eBay it dropped in OK and was plug and play no problem steering controls,climate control, USB and rear monitor worked OK. On start up the logo can be changed to Seat and the indicator lights are red so it all looks the part for £240. Also, the maps Igo can be updated free off the internet I have just done mine. Seat seems to charge a fortune for an upgrade I can also add the latest radar alerts once a month. My reversing camera also connects to the unit. The only con is radio reception but I think this is down to my aerial. I have had this A-Sure unit 18 months and without pushing my luck everything is a OK. Aggie

Adam D

Nov 11, 2014
That sounds promising, i might take the hit and give it a go. They have a decent return policy on some so if it doesn't work how i like i could always send it back or sell on.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Although it's a Chinese unit the agents are based in the UK so its easy to contact them about any concerns you might have I found their technical Dept very knowledgeable when I rang them. Further to my first post I found that due to the amount of connections at the back of the unit it was a bit tight in the available space in the seat dash board but with a bit of patients it fits OK. Also, sound reproduction is excellent and the igo primo sat Nav is all singing all dancing and I have now ditched my tom tom. By what I have said you might think I am in the pay A-Sure but I just like the double din unit and given an honest opinion. Aggie.

Northy 8

Oct 14, 2014
notts
Can anyone confirm they have fitted these to a pre facelift Leon Cupra and worked
I tried the mfd2 and it needed another connector so gave up
Cheers

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Send them an email. [email protected] and they should be able to say yes or no to your question. It says in my instructions that the unit is compatible with Seat Leon from 09/2005 but ask first. Aggie

leontsibob

Feb 6, 2014
Buckinghamshire
You can put the gpa antenna under the dash, behind heater controls, just make sure it has a clear view of the window, I was thinking about putting mine under the bonnet some how but if you look at the very first page, the guide dangb did shows you were he put it and tells you how, hope this helps, read the guide

Adam D

Nov 11, 2014
Just got my unit fitted, really pleased! Such a good bit of kit for not much price. The canbus part works fine just less options. It tells me which door is open (more than i knew before!) When the seatbelts, handbrake is taken on or off and just the general status of the battery, speed and RPM.

Got to find somewhere to put the antenna, its quite a big unit at the end of the cable trying to put it somewhere out of large view.

One bug bear so far. The navigation software is great but i cannot see any postcode search and no mute button which would be useful at times.

oh and the main menu screen says welcome to VW with their logo and can't be changed so i'm told.

For anyone thinking of getting one i recommend it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members