Hard decision: Golf R vs Cupra 290

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
Hi guys, i am planning on buying either a golf r or leon cupra 290 in the next week. Using the drive the deal i can get a fully loaded cupra 290 for the price of a standard golf r. Both 5 door DSG around £28k. Seat are doing 0% finance whereas VW are doing 4.9% APR adds a few thousand on a PCP agreement on the golf r over 42 months. I plan to buy the car outright and keep it for at least 5 years - possibly longer

Can you guys help me decide which overall is the better deal long term when everything is taken into account particularly build quality and depreciation.

Thanks

Cupra Boss

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
Thanks for the replies guys. Can you expand abit more. I just want to know the detail behind you're thoughts as this is a big purchase for me and i want as much advice as possible.

Thanks

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Ultimately it's down to personal choice but overall the R will have better build quality and I'm positive the satnav is much better in the golf also.

Best thing is to do as much research as possible and take both cars out and if possible take a few of each of them out as no two cars are exactly the same regardless if they are the same model.

Have a good search on google for reviews on both models and also search both models for common faults and or any recalls they may have had.

Just don't get too excited and rush into anything because as you say it's a big purchase and not one you want to make the wrong decision :)

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
Before I bought my cupra I test drove the golf r and cupra 280 back to back both dsg. At the time they felt so similar to drive and I could get a nearly new cupra for 23k where as the golf would have been nearer 30k with less toys. I bought the cupra. Problems for me at this time of year is the lack of grip when putting the power down, 4wd would be handy. Also I'm now thinking of tuning and how the golf would handle the extra power better. For me though the cupra is better looking, more practicle, more exclusive and used cheaper. So... For me probably still the cupra.

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
Before I bought my cupra I test drove the golf r and cupra 280 back to back both dsg. At the time they felt so similar to drive and I could get a nearly new cupra for 23k where as the golf would have been nearer 30k with less toys. I bought the cupra. Problems for me at this time of year is the lack of grip when putting the power down, 4wd would be handy. Also I'm now thinking of tuning and how the golf would handle the extra power better. For me though the cupra is better looking, more practicle, more exclusive and used cheaper. So... For me probably still the cupra.

What tyres you got buddy? I'm running eagle f1's and over 300bhp yes it will light the wheels up in third when it's wet if I smash the pedal to the floor after a gear change.

However if I go slightly lighter and get it right it will just grip.

Perhaps when you get it mapped they will be able to alter the way the traction control kicks in! this is what has been done to mine and it's a completely different car to drive.The way the ecu used to kick in traction control on the stock map was an absolute joke keep in mind that's only 240bhp

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
What tyres you got buddy? I'm running eagle f1's and over 300bhp yes it will light the wheels up in third when it's wet if I smash the pedal to the floor after a gear change.

However if I go slightly lighter and get it right it will just grip.

Perhaps when you get it mapped they will be able to alter the way the traction control kicks in! this is what has been done to mine and it's a completely different car to drive.The way the ecu used to kick in traction control on the stock map was an absolute joke keep in mind that's only 240bhp

Im still running the bridgestones it came with (wish i'd put the michelins on - nearly did and will do in about 2k miles). I know that they will make a big difference.
Like you say I'm probably just being a bit heavy footed but sometimes it'd be nice to come out a roundabout boot it and it just grips - think this might be a benifit of the golfs 4wd.
Although I have heard that fast 4wds arnt as much fun as you have to be going silly speeds before you loose traction.
In the dry the grip isnt a problem.
Still think it will probably get it mapped at some point soon though - its all good fun.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Im still running the bridgestones it came with (wish i'd put the michelins on - nearly did and will do in about 2k miles). I know that they will make a big difference.
Like you say I'm probably just being a bit heavy footed but sometimes it'd be nice to come out a roundabout boot it and it just grips - think this might be a benifit of the golfs 4wd.
Although I have heard that fast 4wds arnt as much fun as you have to be going silly speeds before you loose traction.
Still think it will probably get it mapped at some point soon though - its all good fun.

The Bridgestones are useless tbh. Got Goodyear assy's on now and they are so much better. You can still break traction but you have to trying REALLY hard. For example, just got in from a trip back from Whitby , temp has been between 0 and 3 all day, roads greasy or salt covered etc, tyres are down to 3mm ( yes they'll be changed soon ) and despite being, ahem, enthusiastic ;) only broke traction twice and was easily controlled.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Wait a month then test drive a Focus RS….. Failing that - Golf R.

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire

The Bridgestones are useless tbh. Got Goodyear assy's on now and they are so much better. You can still break traction but you have to trying REALLY hard. For example, just got in from a trip back from Whitby , temp has been between 0 and 3 all day, roads greasy or salt covered etc, tyres are down to 3mm ( yes they'll be changed soon ) and despite being, ahem, enthusiastic ;) only broke traction twice and was easily controlled.

Ran bridgestones on my ep3's and have to say they are poor if I'm honest they couldn't even handle 230bhp.

Want to try a set of Toyo R888's they are meant to be epic in both wet and dry. Only trouble is they are bad in standing water/puddles as they are a semi slick road legal tyre so essentially no good for winter unless you have balls made of titanium :p

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
Thanks for the responses for far. I have driven both the golf r and cupra 280 but still cannot make my mind up with which one to go for. I personally do not think the price difference between them is justified but i am not very experienced buying cars (this being my first ever brand new car purchase).

What do others more knowledgable and experienced than me think? Does the price difference reflect differences in build quality and can this be recouped when selling the car after 5 years?

Cheers

KebabWarrior81

Nov 4, 2013
Sandbach,Cheshire
The R's seem to hold value better than the Cupra why I'm not entirely sure maybe it's because of the badge monkeys ie they won't buy a seat because some people class them as a poor mans golf etc etc.

But if you ask me for anyone who is able to pay 20k plus on a car they clearly aren't poor lol

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
Golf R looks a bit boring IMO. Cupra sharper, and a bit different.
Loads & loads of Golf R's on the road, so unsure how this will impact future value on finance.

I've driven both, there isn't that much between them. DCC is a must on our horrific road surfaces.

Drove the R and thought I could happily own that. Drove the Cupra and thought I can't not own that. So I bought it.

sf04our

Jan 17, 2016
I've just ordered a new Cupra 290 in black at the weekend - Was a choice between the Cupra/Golf R/Focus ST. I couldn't justify the price of the R over the Cupra and loved the fact that it is fully specced to start with. So much more power than the focus and better inside and out. Have a look at some of the vids on youtube (cant post links yet). Just search for Golf R vs Leon Cupra.

cupraboss

Dec 27, 2015
I've just ordered a new Cupra 290 in black at the weekend - Was a choice between the Cupra/Golf R/Focus ST. I couldn't justify the price of the R over the Cupra and loved the fact that it is fully specced to start with. So much more power than the focus and better inside and out. Have a look at some of the vids on youtube (cant post links yet). Just search for Golf R vs Leon Cupra.

What discount did you get? did you use a broker? if so what dealer did you buy it from?

sf04our

Jan 17, 2016
Used carwow and managed to get around 12.5% discount at a dealership which was also one of the closest to me. Caffyns in Tumbridge Wells - very good service from them so far

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.