Hardwiring Road Angel in Leon

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Hi guys,

Got myself a RA Compact, and I was wondering if anyone had/knew of a guide how to hardwire this in. I want to HW it into my Leon.

It's meant to be quite hard due to it being USB powered - anyone?

Thanks

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it'll still just take a 0V and I guess a 5V rail

Probably best to get a straight wire that plugs into the RA, then extend it & wire it into the terminals under the fusebox

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
It hasnt come yet, should be here this week.

The problem I've seen is that as it uses USB, you cant directly hardwire it into the cars power (someting about USB being 5v & car being 12v?)

Just wondered if anyone had done it?

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
It hasnt come yet, should be here this week.

The problem I've seen is that as it uses USB, you cant directly hardwire it into the cars power (someting about USB being 5v & car being 12v?)

Just wondered if anyone had done it?

I recall still having to use the `cigarette lighter` power cord supplied with the device.
Think you have to obtain an aftermarket accessory single `lighter` socket - hard wire this behind the dash panel and then connect this to the power lead supplied with the device

andycupra

status subject to change
???
surely the usb is for updating it for new camera locations off the net, not powering it while in the car.

5 seconds of searching finds this: (take note of number 5)

Compact Road Angel
Whats in the Box:
1 Road Angel Compact
2 Windscreen Mount
3 Dash Mount
4 USB Update Lead
5 12v Cigar Power Adapter
6 Instruction Leaflet

you can easily adapt the cigar lighter adapter to be hard wired.

another 5 secs find this which shows all the accessories, - including a hard wiring kit. (9.99)
http://www.road-angel.co.uk/compact_road_angel_accessories.htm

Last edited:

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Hi Andy,

I've seen the 12v ciggie lighter pwer lead, but on every review I've read, it says it's harder to hardwire than normal RA's due to the USB power. It says it sticks out loads, so I was assuming that a usb lead plugs into a ciggie lighter conenction, the into your ciggie lighter outlet.

Thanks for the above info, I'll report back when I have it to hand

Aug 29, 2006
Poole
There are terminals under the steering column (a bit of dash removal required) if you need to get to a 12v supply. Either Ice Cavern or pabs has made a guide for this....Cant remember for sure now.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
indeed, "not easy to hardwire" - I don't agree, just means you have to take the cigaretter lighter to bits, and pull the 12V & 0V feeds as I said in post #2

walk in the park

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
You know I'll end up setting the airbags off or breaking something lol - nice one guys, I'll probably be back for some more help when I do this, as I'm crap with all things vehicular !!

andycupra

status subject to change
was just trying to remember if the cigar lighter is switched with ignition.
if it is, thats an easy way to get power that doesnt require you to go under the steering wheel or fuse box if you dont feel comfortable.

easy to remove and get to the rear of the cigar ligher. just one screw to remove.

take a 12v and earth feed from the bus (used the switched live) under the dash behind the wheel, wire that to a fag socket (from somewhere like maplins), then plug the road angle wire into that as if it was the one in the ash try. then feed the wire up the dash near the a-pillar and along the windscreen (it will drop into the gap) JOB DONE, thats way you retain the road angle compact wires and dont have to worry about voltage etc. just make sure you secure the socket you fit.

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Hi guys,

Got it at the weekend !!!

Just to confirm - the lead thats used to power this is the actual lead that goes into your PC to update it.

It has an adapter that plugs into your ciggie lighter, and then the usb lead plugs into this adaper.

Is the best course of action still to wire up a new 12v ciggie socket with a switched live & hide it behind the dash ?

Thanks for the input guys

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The other idea is to strip the connector so you just get the bare wiring, and wire that into the wiring at the back of the cig lighter itself. Cut the wiring, crimp it together with the cig light wiring and job done :)

andycupra

status subject to change
that seems ok, however i presume you will be using the same wire to update the unit?
therefore when you want to update it you will have to be able to remove this wire.
unless you plan on getting another... or is this what you mean by "got it at the weekend"?