Have I got the wrong headlights fitted?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Driving home in the near dark today, for probably the first time since I got the car due to lockdown and summer, I kept getting flashed by oncoming cars and I noticed the beam pattern seems odd on this new car.

Every right hand drive car I've ever had has the beam kick up to the left, to avoid dazzling oncoming cars and light the road edge further - this one seems to be opposite.

Picture attached, what do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_201323.jpg
    IMG_20210829_201323.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

xeizo

Aug 17, 2021
Would be perfect outside of Britain, looks like something is bugged, but since one can go to other countries with the car it must be possible to change the direction easy. Probably deep down in the infotainment menus, or maybe even on the physical light buttons. I would check the manual, it must be there.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Would be perfect outside of Britain, looks like something is bugged, but since one can go to other countries with the car it must be possible to change the direction easy. Probably deep down in the infotainment menus, or maybe even on the physical light buttons. I would check the manual, it must be there.

There’s a software issue with some mk8 Golfs where under the Lights ‘settings’ menu, the ‘Travel Mode’ sometimes automatically changes itself to ‘driving on the right’ (should be ‘driving on the left’ for RHD vehicles).

@BoomerBoom - check to see what the ‘Travel Mode’ setting is for your car. If it’s showing ‘driving on the right’, then change it to ‘driving on the left’ to see if it adjusts the headlamp beam pattern to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

Reactions: xeizo

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Thanks for the replies. When I went out again to check, in full dark, it's clear that the lights are actually fine - the kick up is to the left and exactly on the kerb line, once you can see the beam at a good distance. The right hand side is still quite high, but not enough to normally dazzle oncoming cars. With how bright the lights are I'd imagine that any bump in the road would make it pretty unpleasant to look directly into the beam, hence the flashing from other cars.

There is no travel mode option in the lights settings, the manual refers to the lights complying with 'tourist light' values when driving abroad for short periods but for an extended stay you must change the headlights, so there is no software option for LHD/RHD.

Deleted member 123864

LEDs don't require any conversion from driving on the right to driving on the left and vice versa as they use a flat beam.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
LEDs don't require any conversion from driving on the right to driving on the left and vice versa as they use a flat beam.
As noted above “for short periods”, eg holidays. For longer than that a headlight change is mandated.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
That’s unusual if one is set high, folk have normally been adjusting them up, at least on mk3s anyway, could just be a bit too high?

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
My lights, as you can see right lights should be a slightly lower than left. Judging from your picture is other way around? Or did your car stay on slope?

Attachments

• IMG_20210927_083010.jpg
    IMG_20210927_083010.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 117
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.