Head unit change.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
decided to swap out the usb location to the centre console what a pain in the backside that is to do the existing HSD/USB harness is not long enough to move the location and my cheap aliexpress cable fell apart on first use, what a piece of junk. ended up having to take apart harness remove the old ami/media in cable as that is not used anyway cut the original usb cable in half and splice a new longer lead in shrink wrap the connectors and then fabric tape it up like an original cable. vw want £45 for a usb cable [:@].

if anyone goes down this route be careful which harness you buy as the quality of some of these cables are shocking.

IMG_20180925_125241.jpg

IMG_20180925_125247.jpg

old ami cable removed from harness

IMG_20180925_125256.jpg

IMG_20180925_125241.jpg

Rick Hendriks

Sep 26, 2018
@leonlad . I now have the centre box with lid. I do want to install the USB+AUX like original, like you did. Where did you get the center box that can hold the USB+AUX module?

Krisg18

Jul 5, 2018
Hi Leonlad,

Could you please send me the details of the person I need to contact to have the unit hacked cheers.

Feb 15, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was hoping someone could help me clarify a few points?

I have a Seat Leon MY2013 and I’m hoping to replace the MIB1 and 5.8inch screen with a MIB2 and 6.5 or 8 inch screen, for the purpose of adding CarPlay.

From what I understand the 5F0035020 (Harman) and the 5QA035858 (TechniSat) (SW0245 HW H24) would be the only options because they can be ‘modified’ to have the likes of CarPlay activated (otherwise not available via official methods since my VIN would not be supported)

The likes of 5QA035858A and 5QA035858B are no good because the firmware version is too high?

The 5F0035020 is rather expensive in comparison to the 5QA035858 and I was wondering what the differences are. I know the 5F0035020 has eMMC and supports virtual cockpit etc but are there any other differences that should be considered when choosing between the two (Apart from cost). Can the firmware of either two units be updated?

Lastly the two issue that I’ll face is having component protection removed and CarPlay activated. I’ve read that others have simply installed the new hardware, let component protection kick in and then take to a VAG technician to have component protection removed and then contact one of these ‘tech savvy’ guys in Europe to have CarPlay activated by either purchasing a VAS5054A and doing it remotely with teamviewer or sending the unit to them.

Can component protection only be removed by a VAG technician or can the ‘tech savvy’ guys also remove component protection?

Thanks in advance for any input

Last edited:
Reactions: DougCupra280

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Having done the same research all I need is someone to hack/break a 5qa035858unit for me.
Where can I find these people??

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Unless something has changed recently the Harman was the only one that could be hacked, hence why others go for £100-150 on eBay but the Harman goes for £300-500 usually.

Rick Hendriks

Sep 26, 2018
Having done the same research all I need is someone to hack/break a 5qa035858unit for me.
Where can I find these people??

Not true, This unit is aslo 'hackable'. I know for sure cause i have one in a MY14 Leon.
Please send me a PM, i can give you a link

Rick Hendriks

Sep 26, 2018
Did you managed to get full-link / CarPlay activated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I replaced the MEDIA-IN for a usb + aux and full link works perfectly. The only thing I cant do i a Firmware Update because the unit will be locked again.

Feb 15, 2019
United Kingdom
Yes, I replaced the MEDIA-IN for a usb + aux and full link works perfectly. The only thing I cant do i a Firmware Update because the unit will be locked again.

Ok great. Thanks for the info. I’ve sent you a PM to get that link you referred to earlier. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
Harman or technisat can be done

I clearly explained the expensive Harman is not needed. Time I sold the old mib1 kit it actually made me a profit upgrading lol

Feb 15, 2019
United Kingdom
Decided to go for the 5QA035858. Sent it away to be ‘hacked’ CarPlay is activated but disconnected after a few minutes. Park Pilot is no longer displayed on the infotainment screen (but can still hear the audio feedback) and I can no longer choose between driving modes.
Anyone any ideas how to resolve these problems?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.