Headlight Range Control Error

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
Hi All,

Had a warning pop up this morning saying "Error: Headlight Range Control" followed by the yellow triangle at the bottom of the display.

Managed to solve the issue by turning the car off and back on again. This allowed the lights to level again and all was fine.

Came back out from work, started my car again and the lights levelled but we're quite low and then the error popped back up again. Restarted the car and everything was back to normal again.

Any idea's on what this might be? I've tried restarting the car a few times and I'm not able to make the issue happen so seems a bit random.

Don't fancy paying Seat £80 to say "you need a new headlight" which will cost top side of £700-£800 per one.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Have you got the LED headlights ? If you get a chance when it's dark park up facing a wall and check the beam pattern and height when the warning light is on. If all ok maybe don't worry about it if your concerned about repair costs ?

Only guess work as never had that before or heard of it.

Sorry I couldn't help more

Reactions: thecalstanley

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
Have you got the LED headlights ? If you get a chance when it's dark park up facing a wall and check the beam pattern and height when the warning light is on. If all ok maybe don't worry about it if your concerned about repair costs ?

Only guess work as never had that before or heard of it.

Sorry I couldn't help more

Yep, got the LED headlights. I was about to enter the car lift at work when the error popped up and both the lights did look level, however, they were quite low.

Been having a look around online and I think I might have caused this by going over a massive bump last night on my way home as there's a sensor on the suspension apparently. Went back out before and the error didn't pop up. Tempted to ask them to have a look at it if it continues at the next service (Due in Jan/Feb), don't fancy a massive bill though haha

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Yeah well that could make sense. Would be much better off if it is the sensor over a headlight. I know the Volvo's have a sensor on the rear suspension which measures suspension travel/height to work out how it needs to self level/dip the headlights. If that is the case shouldn't be too much, much better than a headlamp anyway haha.

Fingers crossed for you mate !

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
My money is on the sensor in the rear suspension. Had it happen to mine.

When the sensor reports an error - the car goes into "safe" mode and points the lights about 5 foot in front of the car. Restarting generally cures it, until the sensor completely fails.

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
My money is on the sensor in the rear suspension. Had it happen to mine.

When the sensor reports an error - the car goes into "safe" mode and points the lights about 5 foot in front of the car. Restarting generally cures it, until the sensor completely fails.

How much was it to get yours sorted? Was fine today and hasn’t come back up since so might be OK! Gonna keep an eye on it.

Ordering a Carista dongle next week so I can troubleshoot issues like this easier!

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
How much was it to get yours sorted? Was fine today and hasn’t come back up since so might be OK! Gonna keep an eye on it.

Ordering a Carista dongle next week so I can troubleshoot issues like this easier!

The temperature headlight issue is a service thing - update should fix it when they service it.
Think they wanted £175 for a new sensor and installation at the dealer - but they did it under warranty, just before it ended!

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
The temperature headlight issue is a service thing - update should fix it when they service it.
Think they wanted £175 for a new sensor and installation at the dealer - but they did it under warranty, just before it ended!

I’ll mention it to them when I take it for the service to see if there are any updates available.

That price isn’t too bad I suppose from a main dealer, I was expecting more along the lines of £300-£400. My warrenty ended a month ago, typical for something to crop up as soon as it ends!

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
Error returned yesterday and wouldn’t go away, so ordered a Carista and got the fault code. However, the fault code it’s giving doesn’t bring up many results on Google.

Any ideas? Fault code is as follows

Headlight aiming
Part #: 5Q0907357
Coding: 048E000009000000 (hex)
Component: LWR-ECU
Fault codes:
5256721 Manufacturer-specific code

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
Looks like the part number refers to the headlight range control module (doing a quick google). From this kit the box with the Audi symbol on it. The ride height sensor went on mine - the sensor with the "arm". The kit is from an Audi, hence the two arms, purely for demonstration purposes. Hopefully someone else can help you further

aLWR-Komplettset-fr-Passat-3C-33772.jpg

Deleted member 103408

I have been doing a few track days recently and I do get this error once or twice after chucking the car around a lot.

But day to day road use never see it.

No permanent errors but I will raise it with garage when it goes in for MOT.

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
Looks like the part number refers to the headlight range control module (doing a quick google). From this kit the box with the Audi symbol on it. The ride height sensor went on mine - the sensor with the "arm". The kit is from an Audi, hence the two arms, purely for demonstration purposes. Hopefully someone else can help you further

aLWR-Komplettset-fr-Passat-3C-33772.jpg

Thanks for this, massive help! I’m looking into getting the ride height sensor replaced ASAP to see if this cures the problem. Makes sense the sensor has gone as the issue started after a massive bump which I’m guessing must have broke the arm or damaged the sensor in some way.

Glad it’s not an issue with the headlight, they cost a small fortune to replace

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
While it was dry earlier (didn’t last long), tested unplugging the ride height sensor on the back and the fault codes changed so looks like it’s not that.

Looking like going to Seat is the only option to get this sorted

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
The part number is the Control module - it lives in the front of the engine bay (I think) looks like this - you could try unplugging it - then see if the code changes (I approve of your detective skills!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genu...h=item3b078570da:g:NxgAAOSw-NFavfRo:rk:2:pf:0

Seems quite cheap on Ebay - dealer would charge you £75 just to identify the problem! A new one cost <£40 on ebay...

Pre-owned ones can be had for around £20 and up.

Last edited:

thecalstanley

Sep 21, 2017
Manchester, UK
Quick update on this. All sorted now, ended up going the dealer route and they replaced the ride height sensor on the rear of the suspension.

Total was £400, that’s for the part and also a minor service as I was due one.

BarryFR184

Jan 7, 2019
Hello all, I’m new to the forum and wanted a bit of help with a similar issue. For the last 8 months I’ve had the same ‘headlight range error’ message which comes on within a few metres of driving each time I use the car. I took it to an auto electrician who plugged it in and it brought up a fault saying that the range motor inside the drivers side headlight was the problem. I bought a brand new headlight at considerable expense but the exact same fault appears.

When I start the car, the headlights do the usual range sweep up and down and most of the time they end up where they should. Sometimes the right one is too low. In any case, the warning message shows up EVERY time. Before the warning appears, if I switch from dipped beam to full beam, the headlights rise slightly just like they should, and lower again when on dipped beam. However, once the inevitable message appears, the drivers side headlight stays in the same position. The row of full beam LED’s still comes on, but it doesn’t rise up like it should.

I’m really at a loss as to what to do next and ANY help would be very much appreciated.

My car is a 2014 Leon ST FR184 with the LED headlights.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.