Help! Active sub added to an OEM speaker setup? 1st upgrade.

:help: Timid newbie post,

I've just become the proud owner of a '06 Ibiza 1.4 3dr Sport, and am looking to begin upgrading the sound system.
I've already stuck in a new HU (a Sony CDX-GT222), with help from various threads around here, so thank you for that.

Now I'm wondering about the speakers, and in particular putting a sub in.
I'm truely a newbie when it comes to anything like that, I've searched the forums here, but I couldn't find anything really relevant to what I'm thinking about.

What would your opinion be on putting in an active sub to start with (maybe a Blaupunkt, as a friend swears by the brand and I like the sound of his), I'de be leaving the other speakers alone for a while until I get the money/inclination/confidence to upgrade them.

I'm considering this, as it seems to be a very simple way to start an upgrade that I would be confident enough doing myself - allow Hellfords.

Thank you in advance.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
i got a custom sub enclosure made, running standard speakers (however as i have 5dr i added the tweeters in the rears) and sounds just right...but i'm not running silly power through the sub therefore the speakers get just enough power standard and aren't drowned out :thumbup:

check my ride thread to see my hu and sub setup

P.S. you'll get more help in the ICE section

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
by active sub you mean a sub with amp built in? cos i had a vibe sub like that and it sounded great (in a saxo)

so you'll be wanting to know about wiring it up, right?

a power cable from battery to amp.
a on/off cable from HU to amp.
an earth from amp to a suitable earth(dont ask me where that is)
and some sort of wires from the HU sub out to the amp for the sound signal.

that must be the most basic guide out, now hope for someone with more knowledge to assist

Thank you everyone.
Yeah active sub = one with an amp built in - and I'm pleased that as far is everyone is concerned here they sound good.

I think I read on here that a suitable earth would be the bottom end of a seatbelt restraint, where they are clipped to the floorpan?

Looks like I'll be on the look out for an active sub then!

Again, thanks everyone. :)

Jul 8, 2007
Did you manage to fine a sub as am gonna get rid of a spare one i have at sum point Vive Cbr12" active i think it is same as the one i am using now lots of hard bass

Radge-Aha

Jun 11, 2009
I've been looking around the internet,
any thoughts on this one?
Pioneer TS-WK22A - I really need to keep boot space, and this seems like a good solution - or something like it.

Dont you mean Pioneer TS-WX11A

I cant find a 22 anywhere

Thanks for the offer HallycupraR, but I'm still thinking through options (I'm really bad at making decisions)

and Radge-Aha, I would post a link, but my post count is sub-15, so they won't let me, lets try this,

wwwDOTamazonDOTcoDOTuk/Pioneer-TS-WX-22-Car-Loudspeaker/dp/B0002MNX5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243598899&sr=8-1

Radge-Aha

Jun 11, 2009
Ah i got it now.

THATS TINY!!!! almost like a bathroom radio :cartman:

Its cheaper than the TS-WX11A tho, so it might be a better deal..

Radge-Aha

Jun 11, 2009
No, i know exactly what you mean.

Im looking to get either the 22 or the 11 too.

I want to create a custom install in the spare wheel recess and these 2 subs are perfect for that, im not really interested in shattering my rear window either :D

Radge-Aha

Jun 11, 2009
Hehe, it depends how far you want to go with it and what you want to include.
Im just going for the basic false floor with perspex viewing window and White LED strip lights to light up the sub and amp.