help! anyone replaced the front solid brake pipes???

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
when about fitting my new brakes last night and got all done last connection before bleeding them and the union on the drivers solid line was fooked

tryed everyhting to get it off so can disconnect the standard flexy but no luck

so now going to have the replace the solid line from master-to drivers front wheel well

question is has anyone had to do this? ive orderd the line and new unions

the questions are, is the reservoir on top of the master C detachable to gain access to the union fittings into the master C

then im guessing a case of just refitting new line and then fully bleed the brake system

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I have...

I took my old snapped line to a motor factor & said 'like this, but not snapped'

they have a flaring tool to correctly put the unions onto the end, and then you just need to gently form it to shape

support the inside edge of a turn & don't kink the pipe. use the old one as a template

But once you've done it once, it's easy :)

as you say - bleed the brakes (be careful since it's connected to the ABS unit, you don't want to get air in there if you can avoid it - so work quickly)

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
yep just found out seat dont sell the line doh!

so going to ave to get one made, going to try and reshape the union so can get a smaller spanner on it first otherwise ill take the full line out and then get one made up

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
you using proper brake pipe spanners?

makes the job a lot easier, believe me, been there done that and covered Revokevs garage in fluid eh m0rk!

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Proper brake pipe spanners help. And If i was you, I would do away with the pipe. Get a length of stainless bradided flexy hose and go from master cylinder to caliper. I have done this on many cars. Saves any joints and will never need replacing. Usually works out cheaper too.

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
yep had the right spanners,

plan now is to try and reface the sides of the union and get a smaller spanner to fit on it prob 10mm, then see if i can get it off,

other wise sounds a good idea to get a new braided hose made to replace the solid line, as will be alot easyer when fixing the new line in

still can not beleive that seat do not sell the lines made to shape

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
right tryed putting a smaller spanner on by dremmiling the rounded union but no luck so running out of options

can the soild line be re swaged on the car?

so the old union cut of new one slid on then the line re swaged?
as there will be some play with the braded line from the new caliper so the bit which cut off will not make a diff

please shead some light on this as if have to replace the line, due to it running to abs unit looks like would be an engine out job as the lines run behind all the turbo heat sheilds on the bulk help

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers andy

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
no mork its the hard pipe in the dirvers wheel arch

my question is can i do this:

cut the old union off, this will then leave about 4-5in of hand pipe in the wheel arch to play with

get a new union slide it on

buy a flairing tool, and re flair the end of the hard line,

and then start again to connect the brembos braided flexy line

then bleed the system????

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
what's wrong with going to the motor factor & asking for a new hard line with the right union's on already flared & just sticking it on?

10 min job then.

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
well mate works for seat and they do not sell the line, so in not sure a motor factor would sell the line????

the aim behind reflaring would mean would not have to remove the line from the car (does not look easy poss a engine out job to gain the right access)

and can do all the work from the front wheel arch

any idea on the dia of the metal hard pipes? and what there made from?

i know u can get the cutting and flairing kits from machine marts and will just get a union from the motor factors or local fitting shop

or u think a case of getting the line out , getting it copyed and re-fit

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I always get the line out & made up at an 'old style' motor factor

it's certainly not an engine out job - just soak the abs union in WD40 to ensure it comes off.

SEAT dealers will have a reel of copper pipe specifically for making up brake lines, I can't beleive they don't have it.

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
been reading through old posts looks like the lines are steel so prob not be able to re flair the line whats on so looks like going to have to get the line out and replace it

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Had the samething happen to the Cordy with the abs pump > OSF union sheering. In the end I got a garage to do the job otherwise I would of kept putting it off - did'nt cost that much and did quite a good job.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
std lines are hard as feck!
can be saged as mine were spliced into by AutoT when my bias valves were done.
Dunno what tool he used but he did manage it.
You might get lucky.

Presume you tried heat on the union with a small blow torch or similar?
worked for me previously on stuck union.

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
i tryed heat but not happy with the condition of the union now so want to replace it,

will get the cut and flair kit and give that a go can always heat the pipe up to help flair it as well if hard

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
I found using a mole grip on the top union and a spanner on the bottom worked a treat. If you get stuck feel free to bring it over one day and I can have a try, managed to do it successfully to two "stuck solid" Ibiza union's so far!

And if worst comes to worst, making a new brake pipe, plus flairing is dead easy. Had to do this on the 1.6 when I made some new rear lines for the disc conversion.

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
cheers for the offer craig, not going to let it beat me, im going to get a blow torch and give it another go first as can reside the union again to fit a 9mm spanner on there ill have a go at the weekend

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.