Help! im new to the tdi side of things :)

Wakey

I have just bought a mk3 Ibiza tdi sport, its the 110hp one with the asv engine code but the turbo is blown I have been told its the vanes in the wastegate sticking that caused the turbo to blow in the first place.
Is it possible to replace the waste gate and turbo without changing the manifold?
And I expect this is a silly question but what cars share the same turbo/manifold as the Ibiza?
The codes for the turbo are: GT1749V, 028145702SV500 - o.e.m turbo code, 701855 - part number.

Any help would be much appreciated guys, cheers.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
you can replace it for a brand new one for £300ish with 12months warrenty so dont bother attempting to split it, they come as one part anyway.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Leons and Toledos also came fitted with the ASV engine, indeed I have one.

The turbo does not have a wastegate, instead it is sized to take the maximum expected gas flow (full revs, 4500 or so) and the vanes rotate to make the inlet narrower at lower revs/gas flow. This design gets the turbo to deliver usable boost at lower engine speeds than a wastegated turbo.

There is an animated GIF at the bottom of this page that shows how the vanes move to open and close the turbine inlet without disturbing the gas flow.

Wakey

thanks a lot for the help guys,

MJ is there any chance you can point me in the rite direction as to were I can find one at that price because I am really struggling to find one for less than £450 and that’s without the manifold.

cheers

Wakey

dose it matter what engine code the turbo/ manifold comes off? because the only cars that seem to share the same part number for the turbo are people carriers and they have different engine codes :confused: or is it not so mutch the part number but the engine code that matters?

again any help is mutch appreciated guys

Wakey

the engine code you will need to use is ARL - this is vag 150bhp 1.9 8v tdi pd engine as fitted to golfs, leons, toledos and even boras i believe and the turbo will be a garrett.

i priced up one from turbodynamics who wanted £300+ vat at the time so it was £350 or so and that was dilivered.

Ok mate thanks a lot for the advise, all these engine/ turbo codes are starting to make my head spin, I spoke to one place today and they said only the AHF engine is the same as the ASV :think:
thanks again

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
the engine code you will need to use is ARL - this is vag 150bhp 1.9 8v tdi pd engine as fitted to golfs, leons, toledos and even boras i believe and the turbo will be a garrett.

i priced up one from turbodynamics who wanted £300+ vat at the time so it was £350 or so and that was dilivered.

PLEASE DISSREGARD THIS POST - THIS INFO IS NOT CORRECT.

I've got my threads mixed up.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The ASV engine is fitted to leons, golfs, toledos, boras, mk3 ibizas.

You could still try turbo dynamics or turbo technics for a replacement.

If you phone a seat dealer and give them your chassis number they will tell you the part numbers for the engine and turbo fitted to your car.

Wakey

The ASV engine is fitted to leons, golfs, toledos, boras, mk3 ibizas.

You could still try turbo dynamics or turbo technics for a replacement.

Cheers, I've had a look on that turbo dynamics but they all seem to be £600 and upwards :( I'm just looking for a simple replacement to get me back on the road now but don't realy want to be paying seat parts dealer prices.

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
nothing is ever simple so why not fit a PD 150 turbo onto it?

Ive heard its nearly a straight swap :) new manifold and remap required but will see great gains and be the start to even more gains :D

Allan

Wakey

thanks for the help guys, I have replaced the turbo now with a standerd unit and its smoking like a train, I asume that is because there is still some oil in the exaust?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members