Help required with Miss fire

rajaster

Hi,

I've had random cylinde missfire, cylinder 1,2 and also 3, 4 on occasions on my seat ibiza 1.4 chill model now for some time.. i've read through the threads and tried many a thing without getting anywhere :confused:.

The missfire is evident on idle but i can feel it all the time whether accelerating or idel.. i get the management light flashing when i am ideling in traffic lights.

i've had the car serviced/plugs changed, wiring, ecu test etc and coil packs changed etc and cant get to the bottom of the issues.

the mechanic says hes checked the cylinder pressure and this was fine and we have had electronics tested, what else could it be?? can someone help me out as am at a brick wall now with no idea whether its best driving the car off a cliff edge or persevere.

Thanks

rajaster

its a single coild pack on these cars.. i bought a new one cost £88 from seat and no change..the engine sounds loud and clatterly.. and yes the spark plugs where changed.

the mechanic seemed to think it could be sticky valves as the engine management fault light sometimes disapears but when tested with the machine its still showing the underlying problem.. am lost by this one :confused:, costing me money yet not finding the problem.

oh and ps its a bosch coil pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
take it back and exchange it. maybe a faulty new one.

what is the exact code you get when its checked. plus find someone near you with vagcom who can plug you in and get it checked for us

rajaster

The mechanic I use has a VagCom.. i'll get the codes.. there were 3 codes the last time
we checked. The problem is the coil packs sparking alright as the mechinic did a little test in front of me.. he believes it wont be the coilpack as its brand new?, could it be valve springs? egr or anything else like a blocked CAT? just some things i'm reading that have happened to others with other cars?

Thing with the coilpack is i tried one of BMS's coil packs before i bought the one from Seat and that was the same, i'm lucky they let me return it after i was done although its not their normal policy.

rajaster

hi,

i've got the error codes i'm recieving they are:

p0300 Random Sporadic Multiple cylinder misfire detected
p0301 Cylinder Sporadic Multiple 1: misfire detected
p0302 Cylinder Sporadic Multiple 1: misfire detected

P1165 Long term Sporadic:
Fuel Trim Additive All area 1:system too rich

I've had misfire on the other cylinders 3 and 4 before also.

and the last code i'm told is due to the misfire.

rajaster

the plugs are all in good condition and sit properly gapped etc the leads were replaced a month ago and are in fully,
its why i'm scratching my head even more.

The engine sounds rattly and diesely too.. but aparently thats a common thing on these so i'm not worried aboutt that..

I do worry it could be something worse e.g. dodgy valve springs meaning have to replace the head which is costly. we havent got that far to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

rajaster

oh i forgot to add that this car has only been driven 24k miles and is a 51 plate, i'm shocked of its problems considering its mileage.

rajaster

just putting an update..

i've had car checked over and the missfire is defo caused by sticky valves.. the engine sounds rattly and i put some stl valve cleaner which didnt resolve the issue but defo sounded quieter..

mechanic reckons engine needs to be recondioned with carbon deposits likely to have built up so needs to open head and sent it away to a special to clean coke/decoke or what ever and realign everything?

does any one know of any industrial strength valve cleaner that i can just put into the engine oil to clean as the flush and oil change and valve cleaner from stl wasnt enough.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.