HID and alignment check

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
So,

fitted my HIDs this weekend, look amazing;

took it to the garage this afternoon just to check the alignment, and oops... they are well off. The garage couldnt even do anything. My drivers side is just a blob, no definition line at all, and my passengers side is the same, but has a slightly better top line to it. You can just see the kick up.

Couple of things then,
1. the clips that are supposed to hold in the lamps, dont shut properly at all. therefore dont hold the bulb that well. (which could be why they arent aligning properly)
2. When the bulbs arent held in very well, i can just about get the grommet around the waterproof backing plate thing, but when i pull it tight (so that the bulb is fitting neatly, i dont seem to have enough distance in the cable to gat he grommet to fit.

I have placed the hole pretty much directly behind where the lamp is, so its not off at an angle.

Has anybody come across any of this?

Thanks

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
you can pull the wires through the grommet more to give yourself a longer length inside. the HID bulbs will only fit in one orientation, check they are the correct rotation in the hole and then should fit snugly. You have definately bought h7 bulbs yes? the fact they are not held it properly will most probably be the reason your alignment is cr*p! good luck

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
On mine the wires could also be pulled/pushed through the grommet carefully.

Beaten by Danny :)

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
i might have a look at the grommet then. this could stop it pulling a little.

I realised that the clip has to be taken off, fitted over the cable and then reclipped back on, but it still doesnt seem to fit on. i can clip the top, and one of the bottom bits, but getting the other bottom side in, is a long way off.

And yes, it is def H7 bulbs. they fit into the holder properly, they just dont stay there.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
I realised that the clip has to be taken off, fitted over the cable and then reclipped back on, but it still doesnt seem to fit on. i can clip the top, and one of the bottom bits, but getting the other bottom side in, is a long way off.

They do fit ;) just think of that whilst your out there in the cold/snow/driving rain fixing it :):cartman:

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
yeh, the clips are alot stiffer with HIDs due to the base plate on the bulb being thicker.. give it some stick and it WILL go! enjoy!

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Also make sure that the bulb sits inside the little plastic umbrella/shroud inside the lense and you don't damage it. You can't buy them seperately from the light unit if you do.

Last edited:

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
Brilliant. Sounds like im going to have fun then. The rain and snow makes it a much more enjoyable experience!

Should this fix my alignment issues then? has anyone else had bad MOT problems? I know the place i went to, said they were pretty leniant with alignment, but there was no way that they would be able to pass mine, as they were!

Last edited:

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
Yeah,

Mine are the Hids 4u ones, but not the anti glare. I assumed that the metal 'caps' would do that job. Better be safe than sorry i guess though.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.