HID for main beam and fogs?

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Has anyone ever fitted HIDs for there main beam and fog lights. Now I practically never use my fogs, and I kow its not a huge advantage for the main beam either. I'm just fussy and wanted things to match.

I've ordered the kits. Just wondered if there was any pitfalls/advice out there

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
the delay (albeit small) upon switching on would be the only real downside as but then with them on low beam anyway i assume it wouldn't be too bad

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
flashing with em is a waste of time to be honest, can be better if you hold em on for a few seconds to start em off but that rarely lasts long

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
S2000's got HID and I can flash people no problem

We're only talking like a 0.5second delay.... maybe the ECU steps-in, but I doubt it

If it became a noticeable issue, I'm sure you'd soon train yourself to hold the stalk back for a fraction of a second longer

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
The big downside to these kits is they are ILLEGAL, as mentioned in most HID threads.

Cars with HID on both main and dipped beam (known as Bi-Xenon) normally have one bulb with a motorised flap to cover part of the beam when dipped. This is because, as mentioned above, Xenons take a while to reach maximum temperature and brightness making them useless for flashing.

For poor viability, white or yellow bulbs are best, making blueish Xenon foglamps useless as they produce lots of glare.

Last edited:

Guffers

Resident Engineer
Apr 18, 2007
The big downside to these kits is they are ILLEGAL, as mentioned in most HID threads.

Cars with HID on both main and dipped beam (known as Bi-Xenon) normally have one bulb with a motorised flap to cover part of the beam when dipped. This is because, as mentioned above, Xenons take a while to reach maximum temperature and brightness making them useless for flashing.

For poor viability, white or yellow bulbs are best, making blueish Xenon foglamps useless as they produce lots of glare.

Passed an MOT today at a SEAT main dealer with HID's, properly adjusted no bother.

If they throw light further, make the road clearer and are therefore safer, and also pass an MOT, whats the problem? Never been flashed with mine, and find that the glare from Range Rovers HID's into a lowered car far worse!

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland

I have no interest in the legality issues.
Now you say that, my old H4 hids had the flap
I don't find my front fog lights are ever useful in fog and tbh never use them to help with visibility.

I'd think I can fit the fog light ballasts behind the bumper and I'm sure I can make room for the others

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
HID in Foglights:
19042009301.jpg

19042009302.jpg

19042009303.jpg

19042009306.jpg

And in mainbeams:
18072009598.jpg

But to fit HID in the Fogbeams, you have to modify the foglight housings:

19042009297.jpg

The cap inside the beam has to be removed:

19042009298.jpg

Because the HID lamp is to long....

Regards, Alex

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Those are going to be properly bright and glare other drivers! :(
I don't think it is worth converting fogs and high beams to HIDs as they are used so rarely and not long enough to warm up properly (the high beams that is....)

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Those are going to be properly bright and glare other drivers! :(
I don't think it is worth converting fogs and high beams to HIDs as they are used so rarely and not long enough to warm up properly (the high beams that is....)

Properly bright is what I'm hoping for. I use my main beam every single day at the moment. I have an 80mile commute to work over some of the darkest back roads known to man. I'm lucky if I see two cars in a day.

I dont really ever use my fog lights, but I got a good deal on the sets, so just got them for that too. Will look good in photos if nothing else :lol:

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Properly bright is what I'm hoping for. I use my main beam every single day at the moment. I have an 80mile commute to work over some of the darkest back roads known to man. I'm lucky if I see two cars in a day.

I dont really ever use my fog lights, but I got a good deal on the sets, so just got them for that too. Will look good in photos if nothing else :lol:

if changing your fogs to spotlights make sure you change the wiring over to be legal.

However if using HID on your non HID car, bear in mind that is illegal. In Kent and essex police are now clamping down like mad as many accidents are now being attributed to oncoming traffic blinded by illegal HID kits.

Also can i just make one thing clear. Xenons are not the only option. My last three cars ( mini's ) came with Xenons standard, and they were not any better than a good set of halogens.

So a cheaper and better way for most would be to upgrade to something liek nighbreaker bulbs which are superb. i'd then look at putting some 100 watt bulbs in the foglights and then wiring these up as spots. But you may want different lenses to get the distance.

I still think the best lights i ever had were the upgraded Spotlights on my mini, they were superb on the back roads at night,

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
if changing your fogs to spotlights make sure you change the wiring over to be legal.

However if using HID on your non HID car, bear in mind that is illegal. In Kent and essex police are now clamping down like mad as many accidents are now being attributed to oncoming traffic blinded by illegal HID kits.

Also can i just make one thing clear. Xenons are not the only option. My last three cars ( mini's ) came with Xenons standard, and they were not any better than a good set of halogens.

So a cheaper and better way for most would be to upgrade to something liek nighbreaker bulbs which are superb. i'd then look at putting some 100 watt bulbs in the foglights and then wiring these up as spots. But you may want different lenses to get the distance.

I still think the best lights i ever had were the upgraded Spotlights on my mini, they were superb on the back roads at night,

I dont want to use my foglights as spots. to start with, thats illegal (cough cough) and I have no need for the extra lighting. I've had Nightbreakers, and Phillips extreme, and I've been running HID in my dipped beam for over a year now.
I honestly doubt that I'll ever really use the fogs TBH apart from photos and (shock horror) fog. Even when its foggy I dont really use my fogs, but you need the fronts on for the rear to come on.

Like I say, I got a good deal on the kits, and I have considered doing the main beam for a while.
Being able to see further is never a bad thing, and I certainly dont plan on dazzling anyone.
My current HID set up is a lot brighter than the phillips extreme they replaced, and yet, dont dazzle anyone as far as I'm aware. Certainly not as much as I get dazzled by people with standard lights that are badly misaligned, or by idiots driving in the snow with fog lights on.

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
I dont want to use my foglights as spots. to start with, thats illegal (cough cough) and I have no need for the extra lighting.

I'm sure it's not illegal to replace fog lights with spot/driving lights. I have seen plenty of conversion kits for Subarus that do and some come with driving lights as standard in the bumper instead of fogs. The driving lights come on only with main beam. However they are much larger than Seat ones.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
I'm sure it's not illegal to replace fog lights with spot/driving lights. I have seen plenty of conversion kits for Subarus that do and some come with driving lights as standard in the bumper instead of fogs. The driving lights come on only with main beam. However they are much larger than Seat ones.

A driving light, or spot light, has to be above the centreline of the bumper. So, yes you can replace your fog lights with driving/spot lights, but only if you altered the positions of them

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
The fog lights with HID dont glare, they are widebeams, not high, so there is on problem with glare.
In high beams i also wouldnt use HIDs because of the warming up phase.

But its correct that it is illegal using HIDs in non HID beam housings.

Regards, Alex