HID headlights

ian_jobson

Dec 11, 2005
Medway towns, Kent
Ive read various debates on these, im not about to start another one, my question is simple and i could not find the answer using search.

The kits needs to have the started and ballast fitted to the bulb.... so u have to drill a hole in the rear of the headlight cover... if you do this wont it encourage them to mist up? how can you get around this.

Ta

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ian_jobson said:
.... so u have to drill a hole in the rear of the headlight cover... if you do this wont it encourage them to mist up? how can you get around this.

Ta
most kits come with a rubber sealing grommet for the cable

if not - use one anyway [B)]

jNx

May 4, 2006
M25 J13
www.surreymodified.co.uk
Don't expect any sympathy from the MOT tester either..

HID or Xenon's have to be in a projector I know that much to pass, think there's something else to do with a washing mechanism for the headlight but i'm not 100% on it...

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
isnt there something about auto levvelling and washer systems also ?

and dont forget - std rule for colour is white or yellow or both

seen some cars fail for (too blue) lamps/bulbs

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
jNx said:
Don't expect any sympathy from the MOT tester either..

HID or Xenon's have to be in a projector I know that much to pass, think there's something else to do with a washing mechanism for the headlight but i'm not 100% on it...

You're 100% wrong. they pass fine

They cannot tell what lights they are. they cannot remove the bulb to look, they can't even take the backing plate off.

They will pass an MOT, but retro fit kits are illegal, they require washer units and self leveling sensors........they don't need "projectors"......

They'll be going on mine when i get money as the standard bulbs setup is cack.

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
got mine from ebay but i have a local supply i can put you onto if need be

As for the mot if it projects the correct image on the tester/meter thing then its a pass

HoocH

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
HID means High Intensity Discharge

If your not sure what they are, when a car is coming towards you and the lights are really white (like the police) thats HID

jNx

May 4, 2006
M25 J13
www.surreymodified.co.uk
Up to you mate, " I'm 100% wrong " but as mentioned the aftermarket kits are for off road use only, show me someone who advertises in this country as being completely road legal retro fit with any modification and I'll show you someone with Trading Standards breathing down there neck!

Don't worry though, conclusion is you'll still pass an MOT, just take it to someone that doesn't know any better. Take it to a good garage who know what they're doing and you'll run into problems

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
No, it's not allowed in an MOT test to remove trim

whether their use is legal or not is not being debated

it was asked if they'd pass an MOT. and they will.

Legal requirement for a car on teh road is that it's capable of passing an MOT (see above)

ian_jobson

Dec 11, 2005
Medway towns, Kent
it wasnt even asked about the MOT it was asked about steaming up, didnt want to start a debate as i have said, i got my answer... we can stop now :) if people wanna read a debate they can search the other hundred odd threads ive just read... ok 3...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.