HID KIT FITMENT easy or difficult????

mikeholroyd

some cars could do this but leons are small. i was the same, i didnt want to drill but you could buy new caps if you sell the car are only something like £20 iirc from the stealer :shrug:

Any problems with MOT with HID? Also, last post edited!

Thanks
Mike

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
not had an MOT with them in yet, took the bulbs out last time but ive heard loads of other members pass as MOT just covers alignment so will be leaving them in this time.

kit uses the existing wiring, connects into the car headlight connectors using spade connectors although you can get a wiring harness which draws the power directly from the battery although this usually isnt needed, its only around £12 for one if it is.

mikeholroyd

not had an MOT with them in yet, took the bulbs out last time but ive heard loads of other members pass as MOT just covers alignment so will be leaving them in this time.

kit uses the existing wiring, connects into the car headlight connectors using spade connectors although you can get a wiring harness which draws the power directly from the battery although this usually isnt needed, its only around £12 for one if it is.

Thanks very much, gazR, your help and advice is very much appreciated.

Any advice on how to convince the wife it's a good way of spending money put away for holidays??????:p

Mike

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Any problems with MOT with HID? Also, last post edited!

Thanks
Mike

No problems with MOT. As long as the light is white in colour, the correct height from the ground and correctly aligned, you can't fail an MOT with them.

Refer to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 for the only law pertaining to vehicle lighting: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

Anything else, including statements from the department for transport, is an opinion and nothing more, it has no basis in law.

mikeholroyd

No problems with MOT. As long as the light is white in colour, the correct height from the ground and correctly aligned, you can't fail an MOT with them.

Refer to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 for the only law pertaining to vehicle lighting: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm

Anything else, including statements from the department for transport, is an opinion and nothing more, it has no basis in law.

Thanks, reckon I could get away with telling her both headlight bulbs have blown, and it's a cheaper option to buy an HID kit?.......................

Mike

BASH29

Nov 4, 2009
East Midlands
im already running a full 6500K xenon bulb set on my car inc side, main, dipped and fogs.

but i went for the cheap bulbs and went for ice blue, they look good but seriously, i think my standard bulbs produced more light.

therefore have decided i want to keep the cool melow blue look so will change the dipped beam for HID kit.

will look under the bonnet tomorrow to see if i can easily differentiate between the cables, other than that it does seem pretty easy.

appreciate all the advice and help lads, hopefully soon will be able to see in the dark.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks, reckon I could get away with telling her both headlight bulbs have blown, and it's a cheaper option to buy an HID kit?.......................

Mike

Definitely, the shocking thing is that a basic HID kit from ebay is cheaper than a set of top of the range halogen bulbs :blink:

4300k colour temperature is bright white and puts more light on the road than 6000k. Anything over 6500k is blue and will get you pulled by the police in quick time.

mikeholroyd

Definitely, the shocking thing is that a basic HID kit from ebay is cheaper than a set of top of the range halogen bulbs :blink:

4300k colour temperature is bright white and puts more light on the road than 6000k. Anything over 6500k is blue and will get you pulled by the police in quick time.

OK, got me convinced. Thanks again for the replies.

Mike

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Forgive the ignorance, but is there enough room actually inside the headlight unit itself to mount the ballasts inside???

And if so, would the 20-odd mm hole still have to be drilled in the casing?

Thanks

Mike

Wouldn't recommend it at all. Even if you could squeeze them in, they're quite heavy and could do a bit of damage if thrown around!

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
A couple of pieces of adhesive backed heavy duty velcro from Halfords or B&Q does the trick. Mount both ballasts to the top of the crash bar behind the front bumper. You need to remove the bumper but its a 5 minute job and looks super tidy when done. I've always done it this way and never had a problem.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.